We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Orvieto from Rome airport

Sunbury...
2 posts
Save Topic
Train to Orvieto from Rome airport

It appears that you can avoid Termini (and the long walk to the regional trains to Orvieto) by taking the FH1 train from the airport to Tiburnia instead of Leo Express to Termini then connecting with the regional train to Orvieto. Does this sound like a good plan? More concerned with avoiding as much of Termini as possible and not to concerned about the length of time to make the trip. Thanks for any opinions.

6 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Orvieto from Rome airport

This is the recommended route in the Trenitalia website. Unless you're connecting with one of the Intercity trains to Orvieto, as these don't call at Tiburtina.

Enter Fiumicino Aeroporto to Orvieto on www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
29 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Orvieto from Rome airport

Yes, you can take a Regional train from FCO to Tiburtina, then another regional train to Orvieto. We did this last year and got to Orvieto in less than 2.5 hours.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Orvieto from Rome airport

There are more train choices through Termini in Rome than through Tiburtina. Depending upon the train it normally takes between 1.25 - 1.5 hours.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,424 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Orvieto from Rome airport

"There are more train choices through Termini in Rome than through Tiburtina."

I don't think so if Orvieto (or another place in Umbria reachable by regional train) is the destination. All regional trains to Umbria leave from Termini and all stop at Tiburtina.

Moreover, the train from Fiumicino to Tiburtina costs considerably less than the train to Termini (8 euros, not 14), the regional train to Orvieto, taken at Tiburtina, costs a bit less than leaving from Termini (7.40 euros, not 7.80), and the station Tiburtina is less large and easier to get by then Termini (at Termini, regional trains to Umbria usually leave from a secondary track, rather far from the centre of the station).

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Orvieto from Rome airport

I misspoke when I wrote my message. I was thinking Orte instead of Tiburtina. Some people want to avoid Rome when going from FCO to Orvieto and think Orte is a good choice. That route limited options.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,424 posts
643 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Orvieto from Rome airport

"Some people want to avoid Rome when going from FCO to Orvieto and think Orte is a good choice. That route limited options."

As for that, I totally agree; taking a train from Fiumicino to Orte means anyway crossing a huge part of Rome, with lots of stops in the city and plenty of hustle and bustle; moreover, this train also stops at many small stations between Rome and Orte, what makes it incredibly slow (whereas a train from Roma Termini or Tiburtina to Umbria or Marche doesn't stop anywhere between Roma Tiburtina and Orte).

Reply to: Train to Orvieto from Rome airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Orvieto