We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Tuscany- help required

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
336 posts
1,550 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Tuscany- help required

I posted a question recently on what village/ town to stay in on the way from Ancona to Port Ercole for 3 nights.

Well this was a few weeks ago and I am still researching and I need HELP to make a decision.

I am seeking an attractive hilltop village/ town with good restaurants and accomodation with a view, walking distance to restaurants and cafes.

My husband and I are fit 60 year olds who enjoy, good food, wine and scenery.

This will be toward the end of our 3 month stay in Italy and we will have a car.

At the moment I have narrowed it down to

Montepulciao - is this scenic and have good restaurants?

Montefollonic - I know it is small ? good base for 3 nights and good restaurants.

San Qurico- It sounds very scenic, does it have good restaurants.

Pienza - not so sure about this.

Thanks for your advice in advance, I am not usuall this indecisive but all of Tuscany sounds wonderful.

2 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Tuscany- help required

Hi Linda, I remember your previous post but to answer your new questions.

Montepulciao - is this scenic and have good restaurants?

Beautiful town with some stunning architecture, lots of places to taste wine (as it's a very important wine producing area) and plenty of places to eat.

Montefollonico - I know it is small ? good base for 3 nights and good restaurants.

Makes a great base as it's so easy to get in and out of, has some EXCELLENT restaurants, many of which are seldom patronised by foreign visitors, very pretty little town but small, certainly. It very much lives (literally) in the shadow of its better known neighbour, Montepulciano.

San Quirico- It sounds very scenic, does it have good restaurants?

Yep, many and they are all excellent. It is very picturesque indeed and although sees a growing number of foreign tourists, it's still relatively peaceful compared with, say, Montepulciano or Pienza.

Pienza - not so sure about this.

h, I'm curious, why not? It's an exquisite little town but, sadly, has become a victim of its own success in the last four or five years but, still, plenty of accommodation options and some good places to eat. It's even lovelier in the evening when the tour buses have left and the local children and their nonnas come out into the streets.

Hope this helps.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
336 posts
1,550 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Tuscany- help required

Thanks very much lastraniera, this is very helpful, I love reading your posts.

Maybe we will go for a smaller place like Montefollonico, San Quirico or even Pienza I had ruled this out as was concerned about the tourists. Even though that is what we are.

We love to sit in the square at night and enjoy watching the children come out to play.

Is there any standout accommodation in these towns that you know of with views and walking distance to restaurants etc.

We enjoy small family run hotels, B&B's and apartments, we will be there from 21st September 2018.

Thanks again

Reply to: Where to stay in Tuscany- help required
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted