We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

We will be staying near Mestre Station for our visit but are booked on the Freccia Rossa to Rome when we leave. Our ticket starts at Venezia St Lucia - does the train come back through Mestre Station and therefore we could board there rather than travel into Venice to come back out again? Or would it be best to head over to St Lucia anyway?

Mentioned in this post
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hotel Venezia
Hotel Venezia
786 Reviews
Mestre, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,870 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

All trains that start from Santa Lucia also stop at Mestre. There is no check on tickets as you board, so there would be no problem in getting on the train at Mestre.

Mentioned in this post
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

Going off of that, if I have a ticket for a Venezia Mestre departure, do you think I would be able to board at the St. Lucia station?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Venezia
Hotel Venezia
786 Reviews
Mestre, Italy
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

tickets aren't checked between venice and mestre..but just to be safe I would get a ticket from venice to mestre..1.50 euro or so

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

As in, just purchase a ticket for the same freccia rosa train that I'm already ticketed for out of Mestre from St. Lucia to Mestre?

Edited: 14 May 2017, 12:39
Mentioned in this post
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

No, it is not possible to purchase a Freccia ticket between Venezia Santa Lucia and Venezia Mestre stations, only the Regionale local trains, which means you have to switch trains at Venezia Mestre station. Tickets for the Regionale trains (not valid on any high speed trains) cost €1,25 per person, and you must specify the day (not time) of travel when you purchase a Regionale ticket.

Depending on the farebase of the Freccia ticket you have, it may be possible to modify it in advance at little to no cost to depart from Santa Lucia station instead of Mestre at any Trenitalia ticket window (even outside Venice).

Tickets are checked randomly even between Santa Lucia and Mestre, and if you do not have a ticket, there are very steep fines.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Venezia
Hotel Venezia
786 Reviews
Mestre, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

yes andrew..you have the freccia ticket from mestre..and with the regional ticket in hand you've covered yourself..as ihv said..the freccia ticket may well be the same price from both stations..I've been to venice upwards of 20 times..probably more..in and out by train and have never seen a conductor checking tickets between mestre and venice in either direction..I would get on the freccia at santa lucia with the regional ticket rather than changing trains at mestre

you could ask freccia staff at their booth at venice beforehand though..they may well say you don't need the regional ticket..let us know how you go because this has come up before

Edited: 14 May 2017, 17:04
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

I have been in and out of Venice literally hundreds and hundreds of times, probably closer to several thousand overall, since for well over a decade I travelled at least weekly in and out of Venice, and for some periods, months at a time, daily as well, using the train, and had multiple occasions to see tickets checked between Santa Lucia and Mestre myself. I have also seen people fined, even though they cried and wailed ignorance or mercy (sometimes both), to no avail. Not frequently, not hearsay, but I suppose the choice to "risk it" is personal, and I definitely would never base the risk on only 30-40, even 50 trips, particularly if the one time it does happen might cost an additional 80+ euros per person.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Turin
Level Contributor
8,706 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

Is there a price difference if you board that train in Mestre or S.Lucia? Check on the site of the company running your train, if there is no difference you can get on wherever you want.

Mentioned in this post
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

Actually, if the "controllore" is at the end of a bad shift (as I witnessed once - well, near the end of a shift and in a bad mood may be a better description), he CAN fine you just the same if the ticket doesn't cover the Mestre-S.Lucia stretch (this was a Miilan>Venice train, so opposite direction, and not out of Venice, and as i recall a Friday evening, and the tourist was being a bit smart-alecky in English). Whether the fine will stick, I never found out, and can't confirm, but doubt it is worth trying. This was a number of years ago, but neither the laws nor the bureaucratic disposition of most of the Trenitalia employees has changed in the interceding years.

Mentioned in this post
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Rome from St Lucia Station (Staying in Mestre)

Steve C, a Regionale ticket in-hand on the Freccia train is enough to cover me? Interesting since the Regionale ticket is obviously for a different train.

On the way to Venice (Eurocity train), I won't have the opportunity to acquire a Regionale ticket, so I'll likely have to simply ask if I can stay aboard.

For everyone inquring, the fares from Mestre/St. Lucia are the same for my journeys.

This leg of my trip is in the coming weeks; I'll report my findings. Thank you all!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy