We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,906 posts
28 reviews
New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

There is a new tramline connecting Mestre with Piazzale Roma, the gateway to Venice.

http://bit.ly/1Fd0WJ8

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,231 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

Interesting, thanks for posting.

But it is odd that they say "Up until now, whoever couldn't afford the cost of a taxi from Mestre was forced to board a public bus, oftentimes having to take luggage along for the ride." They could always have taken the train - but in any case, I'm not sure of the point they are making. Whenever people can't afford taxis, of course they are obliged to take public transport, be it a bus, a train - or a tram!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,906 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

qaminari: that passage struck me as odd also.

Looking forward to riding the new tram.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
8,181 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

Unfortunately, the new tram line is much slower than the bus lines which covered (and in some cases still do cover) the same distance. It is much more prone to technical difficulties, and has been riddled continuously with interruptions in the service ranging from minutes to hours to in one case months since its launch. It has been estimated that for anyone subject to this "change in habits" that is now forced to switch from the extra-urban buses to the tram at the concentration terminal in the center of Mestre the single transport times will be increased from 10 to 25 minutes EACH WAY (possibly even more in off-peak hours), so 20-50 minutes per day, 2-4 hours per week. The construction was so disruptive that entire tracts along the tram that were subjected to extended periods of extremely reduced vehicular traffic, such as Via Garibaldi, are still pock marked with closed stores and business establishments that either closed or were forced to move, and which have not been replaced to this date, so the "convenience" of the tram is a smoke screen which has never given proof of any actual substance. To not start to mention the cost over-runs and escalation beyond any original estimate... A disaster from the start.

Barrie, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
4. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

can anyone tell me the price of the tram vs commuter train vs bus between Mestre and P.Roma or VE S.Lucia?

Thanks

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,691 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

The Tram does NOT go from Venice Mestre station and the tram does NOt go to Santa Lucia station.

If in Mestre station area you can take a bus or a train,

You need to be in central Mestre to take the tram and that goes as far as Piazzale Roma.

As far as costs go it all depends if you take an actv unica pass which can be used on the buses and tram

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
6. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

All these posts are late 2015. Now in February 2016 I've seen trams offered at Marco Polo airport for travel to Venice. And at Venice by the bus station I've seen trams destined for the airport. So, is there any Venice reader who could shed light on current reliability?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

Oh, and forgot to mention that the trams have platforms in Mestre station.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
8,181 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

There are currently two monorail "streetcar" or "tram" lines running on the mainland, the T1 between Favaro (about a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport) passing through the center of Mestre and then cutting east to the San Giuliano park to head towards Venice (P.le Roma), and the T2 running from the center of Mestre past the train station to Marghera (the Panorama shopping center). It does not currently, and as far as I have seen or heard, is not ever planned to be continued out to the airport. Even if it were to be extended beyond Favaro to the airport, the total ride to get into Venice would seem endless (as bad as Alilaguna, or worse). There are currently no train lines running to the Marco Polo airport, from Mestre or anyplace else. There has been discussion recently about having the high speed ("Freccia" type) train lines run to the airport before continuing to Trieste or Milano, bypassing the urban tract of Mestre too, possibly, but nothing I have seen seems very well defined or sure yet.

And the tram started construction well over a decade before it ever reached Venice, so the fact that the most recent posts in this thread are only a few months old is not much of a problem for Italian public works projects.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

Many thanks for the update. I'll use the bus service from Mestre station as that seems certain, and reliable.

Your reply implied that Alilaguna from the airport into Venice isn't a good service, though when I come back after a few days in Cortina and have left friends at Marco Polo, the waterboat would be convenient. It would take me to very close to my Venice hotel.

Edited: 10 February 2016, 19:11
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,046 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: New tram connects Mestre to Venice:

Ian, it is just very slow compared with land transport.