We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

Chisinau, Moldova
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

Hello,

I need to book 2 tickets from Venice Mestre to Florence. I have tried to book on http://trenitalia.com two times, first time with credit card (Visa) failed without reason displayed (with out charged), second time with PayPal, also failed but money was charged from PayPal account (after 30 minutes they refunded).

So the question is: Where i can buy tickets SECURELY without payment problems and at the same price EUR 49 (for 2 tickets)

Thank you!

Dima

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,085 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

Try Trenitalia's private competitor, www.italotreno.it/en

Chisinau, Moldova
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

Thanks,

Unfortunately they don't have the train at 8:37am, that i see on trenitalia.

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
420 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

Do you have a Trenitalia account? I have heard of issues with US credit cards being declined by the issuer because it's a foreign transaction. I have a Trenitalia account and have not had any issues with payment.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,554 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

U.S. credit cards go through if you alert your bank/credit card company that you will be making a foreign transaction; most all banks require this notice in advance of such a transaction but American Express does not

Contact your credit card issuer and see if this is the problem. Also, be sure to alert them about your dates/destinations of travel in advance so their fraud programs don't freeze your accounts when you try to use them when traveling.

Chisinau, Moldova
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

@Stephen C - No, for me is very strange to introduce full document id to create an account on Trenitalia. I feel no secure after this whole situation.

Chisinau, Moldova
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

But what about PayPal, the transaction doesn't go too. Trenitalia refund it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,554 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

I don't know about paypal

I buy tickets often on Trenitalia and have never created an account - I use my Amex card now as my other banks require the notification in advance.

You could try Italiarail - https://www.italiarail.com -- while it is always preferable to avoid buying from a third party, this website is okay for Italy train tickets - see if their schedule matches your needs - I believe, too, that they offer a small refund to people who buy if they mention Tripadvisor - or, they used to - you can check. I have never had to use them but others have said it was fine and they did get the small refund.

And - did you check with your bank to see if they need notification of a foreign purchase? Maybe Paypal does too but did it kind of backwards by letting it go through, then reversing it and refunding - You need to talk to those entities

Edited: 02 February 2017, 01:34
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chisinau, Moldova
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

MomCat1992, thanks for your reply, i have checked italiarail, it's with 20 euro more than Trenitalia on morning train.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,554 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

Well if your bank and Paypal can't answer your inquiries, not sure anyone here can.

Good luck - Worse case scenario is, of course, that you need to wait to buy when actually there which means you will not be able to take advantage of the discounted fares.

After you confirm with your bank that notification is made and they are not the ones preventing the transaction, maybe try one more time by clearing your cookies and trying again.

Turin
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy train tickets online? Trenitalia payment failed

I may be wrong, but if it isn't your bank the problem could be that Trenitalia requires cards from some countries to be registered on the "Verified by Visa" security program.