We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

Which Ferrara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

Hi,

I'm travelling to Bologna in May and want to do a day trip I've narrowed it down to Ferrara or Ravenna, which would people recommend?

Thanks

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

It's apples and oranges. I like both, but Ravenna gets the edge for its wonderful mosaics.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

For me Ravenna.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

Thanks for your assistance.

Malta, New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

Hi how was your trip to Ravenna . I am travelling to bologna next week and considering whether to go for a day o Ferrara or Ravenna .

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

Have not been to Ferrara, so cannot compare the two. But, we made a 1/2 day trip to Ravenna two weeks ago and highly recommend it. We did it on a travel day from Bologna to Chianti and, even with all that driving and a very long day, the spectacular mosaics of Ravenna were a trip highlight.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

Hi, we went to Ravenna - the mosiacs and a trip to see Dante's tomb won out. It's a lovely place to wander around I thought.

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

Sorry but I must disagree with all these posts. Ravenna was a big disappointment to me. I had wanted to go for years and I thought the mosaics were okay but you can see many better examples elsewhere in Europe without the drive and the difficulty of trying to get around in Ravenna. The city is charmless and very hard to navigate. The mosaics are some of the oldest and if you are a mosaic person (which I am) you probably have to go to satisfy your curiosity, but if you are not into mosaics go to Ferrara instead. It is a beautiful city full of intact charm (which Ravenna is not). Staying inside the walls is like living in a museum. And going during a festival is a lovely bonus.

8. Re: Where to choose Ferrara or Ravenna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Ferrara