We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Stickers driving from Cortina to Lake Bled

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
362 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car Stickers driving from Cortina to Lake Bled

I will have a rental car. It looks like the best route takes me briefly into Austria before entering Slovenia. Do I need a vignette sticker for both Austria and Slovenia? Also how convenient is it to buy the stickers?

How is the route if I stay in Italy the whole way and cross into Slovenia near Ratece?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,527 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Stickers driving from Cortina to Lake Bled

You need a windscreen vignette to drive on motorways in Austria, but not if you drive on ordinary roads.

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
362 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Stickers driving from Cortina to Lake Bled

It looks like anyway through Austria places you on a motorway..A2 or A11. Possibly on Road 100. I think all or some of these are motorways.

What about the road that goes through Podkoren(202) Kranjska Gora, and Gozd Martuljek (201)? How is that route? Maybe it would slower but scenic? What is your opinion?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,527 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Stickers driving from Cortina to Lake Bled

I can't help, as I don't know those routes. I have not driven much in Austria, but enough to know the rules.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Stickers driving from Cortina to Lake Bled

The good news is that a Vignette for 10 days for Austria is only €8.80.

This for the Austria travel info website.

Stickers can be obtained from the Austrian Automobile Clubs as well as post offices, newsagents and petrol stations. You can also purchase stickers in Austria's neighboring countries at petrol stations, borders and Automobile Clubs. Cars rented in neighboring countries may or may not be equipped with the sticker. Please obtain one from your car rental agency.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Stickers driving from Cortina to Lake Bled

Many rental car agencies have restrictions on driving into Eastern Europe (in your case, Slovenia) you should check with the rental agency.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Stickers driving from Cortina to Lake Bled

You do need a vignette in Slovenia which is technically in Central Europe. It's required by law.

7. Re: Car Stickers driving from Cortina to Lake Bled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2017, 14:17