We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

I am thinking of visiting kudat and even climb Mt Kinabalu if its possible. If anyone is interested to accompany, please let me know. Hope to do some cycling around Kudat (perhaps Kundasan as well); is it easy to rent bicycles??.

Visiting mainly for leisure, to relax, eat a lot of seafood do cycling and walking. Am looking to stay about a week in April 2018.

Btw, I am 55 yrs old. So if you are 40 or below you probably wont enjoy the company.

Stephen

Mentioned in this post
Kudat
Kudat
Sabah, Malaysia
Tip Top Beach Bar and Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Bar, Asian, Malaysian
Secret Place Cafe
$, Malaysian, Cafe, Asian
Hari Hari Seafood
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Malaysian, Asian
12 replies to this topic
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

Mount Kinabalu and Kundasang are nowhere near Kudat.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Kinabalu
Mount Kinabalu
1,378 Reviews
Sabah, Malaysia
Kundasang
Kundasang
Ranau, Malaysia
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan
Level Contributor
982 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

Stephen J,

This forum is here to assist you with questions, so you will get a better response on another site/forum for a climbing buddy.

Here in the UK we have "Explorers Connect" that people can meet up and match their adventures with others in a timely fashion.

I would suggest you post on a similar( your home/Malaysian/UK/USA) site to get a larger response.

There are at last count 54 hostels in Kota Kinabalu so consider contacting their web pages to post a message for biking climbing buddies. Look at Sabah tourisim. com, Mysabah. com as well.

I recently answered a "Biking " request, this was mainly centred around KK.

If you search on the T.A. "Things too do" it will bring back mountain biking, you can also arrange this via the main Tour Operators in KK or via the web.

Contact them via e-mail , they will send you method of payment/booking form etc. Check the Terms carefully for the small businesses as they do not all offer REFUNDS. Personally I would book biking days/hire on arrival as here in the UK air transportation is having short haul problems, a flat tyre going to the airport , miss your flight and you will loose you fees.

You knew that right?

I think it was £25 per person including hotel in KK pick up and travel up to Tamparuli in Tuaran district north of KK.

Hopefully your Kudat district, search on TA will find what you want.

As previously posted, your potential sites are in the Western side of Sabah north of KK but not really near each other. As you are in Australia they are near each other to you.

KK to the tip of Borneo Kudat district can be 3.5hrs each way.

KK to Tuaran is 45mins-1hr each way.

KK to Kundasang about 2- 2.5hrs each way.

Weather and lack of daylight can really eat into your travel plans. A rough guide, Daylight 6am- 6pm. Use the web for accurate timings.

Regarding your age.

Carefully look at the aspects of climbing Gunung Kinabalu. You need too be fit and superb leg strength as there are high steps and it will be wet, slippery, humid, hot, cold, hot at some point.

Also factor in the quick ascent & decent, the higher altitude, the flights too and from Sabah and the risk of SIT syndrome/ DVT's and pulmonary embolism's, these can be a serious factor if you are overweight or very tall after a flight with a quick ascent so consider a longer slower ascent on KK. (2D3N) Start training or get a check up with your Dr., before training.

Please understand these are pointers from a ex- mountain guide it is NOT medical advice.

You have a greater chance of just falling/slipping over.

You will need more time if you take any medication or malarial tablets as these can be very debilitating at altitude.

It is do able with some preparation.

Have a look at the U-tube, Google maps for some of the conditions and the route.

You will not get snow, but factor in everything else, definitely wind, mist, rain, cold because of the altitude.

There are limited passes granted , 50 per day. (30 to Malay nationals and 20 to non-nationals)

This is being reviewed due to the large amount of Chinese tourists, so book apply early and have mountaineering Insurance. There are no rescue helicopters at this altitude on the mountain.

After the 2015 earthquake the park authorities have tightened up access, have implemented a rescue/training programme for the surviving mountain guides.

You cannot go to the summit without a Malay/mountain guide, porters are extra if you want/need one.

The passes are difficult too come by as a solo traveller they are sold to/bought by the tour operators and you then book a climb if they have the passes, I think they call it tourist revenue!

You can enter the mountain park at the lower slopes, i.e. Poring Springs and walk along several lower treks without a guide, there is also a canopy walk, a small water slide and foot baths, two walks to a pool then to a waterfall, about 8km & 13km each way, no bikes, on foot only, small camera fee applies.

Have a look at the Kudat beaches and maybe Pulua Mantanani and enjoy the sunsets out over the sea.

You have plenty of planning time so I hope some of the above helps.

Mentioned in this post
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia
Sabah
Sabah
Malaysia
Tuaran
Tuaran
Sabah, Malaysia
Kudat
Kudat
Sabah, Malaysia
Tip of Borneo
Tip of Borneo
312 Reviews
Kudat, Malaysia
Kundasang
Kundasang
Ranau, Malaysia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

Jadamros - Its only about 180kms away according to google map, perhaps you'r referring to a different Kudat?? Thanks for your reply anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Kudat
Kudat
Sabah, Malaysia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

Thanks for your reply David N.

Much appreciated.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

you need to be clearer about what you mean as Kudat. There is the district of Kudat and the town of Kudat. The tip of Borneo is abour 1 - 1/2 hours drive from the tip of Borneo.

Also the road from Kudat town to Kundusang and Mt Kinabalu is a windy mountain road for a fair part of the trip. Rely on experienced Sbah travellers for your informaion about times in driving these roads. Google maps may not take into account road conditions and very slow moving heavy trucks on aroad that does not provide many overtaking places.

Mentioned in this post
Kudat
Kudat
Sabah, Malaysia
Tip of Borneo
Tip of Borneo
312 Reviews
Kudat, Malaysia
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

180kms may be close to you, but it is a 3+ hour trip by car.

Kundasang & Mount Kinabalu are closer to Kota Kinabalu, about 93km. They are considered the "surrounding area" of KK not Kudat.

As most people would enter Sabah through KK, logistically you would go to Kundasang/Mount K from KK first and stay there. You could then go onwards to Kudat once done with Mount K.

Mentioned in this post
Kundasang
Kundasang
Ranau, Malaysia
Mount Kinabalu
Mount Kinabalu
1,378 Reviews
Sabah, Malaysia
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia
Sabah
Sabah
Malaysia
Kudat
Kudat
Sabah, Malaysia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

You are right Jadamros, 180kms is considered close for me. Every other Saturdays, I cycle anywhere from 50 to 150kms just for the fun on it.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

By all means if you are able to cycle that distance, just bear in mind roads and driving standards here are different. Lorries have right of way, then buses, then 4wds and pickup trucks, cars, motorbikes then cyclists then pedestrians. Bicycle rental in Kudat, doubt there is any, maybe try the guesthouse you stay at. Good luck and all the best to you.

Mentioned in this post
Kudat
Kudat
Sabah, Malaysia
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
982 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

Stephen J,

You can ignore my previous post regarding your fitness, as completing 150km bike rides proves you are aerobic, and have the leg strength for your Gunung Kinabalu trek.

I would still keep a eye on the quick ascent aspects, some internet research will put your mind at rest.

Have a look at the National Geographic articles on the Everest ascents and how they dealt with the altitude.

For a really poor example look at the England football teams preparation to the 2010 football world cup in South Africa where they spent two weeks at higher altitude approximately 6000ft and overloaded their red blood cells and crashed and burned in the competition immediately.

As you are fit and no doubt competitive don't rush it just pace with the guide.

Always stop then look around or to take photos. Don't walk and shoot it results in injuries.

I was right about your view that 108km's is nearby.

Equally the follow on posts are helpful and accurate so do not be fooled by the Google maps distance.

On the ground it can be busy the truck and bus overtakes can be scary. Throw in a sudden downpour, or encounter run off/flooding it does not mix well with fast moving vehicles, there are plenty of accident/crashes/deaths.

A slightly different aspect, KK has a morning afternoon "rush hours" that are not just in the city centre so the nearest surrounding district are becoming affected. Just factor this in if you are travelling through the city too or from the airport.

Hope that builds up your knowledge for your Sabah time!

Mentioned in this post
Sabah
Sabah
Malaysia
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
982 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?

Stephen J,

From my searches there is no cycling/mountain biking rentals in Kudat.

Consider my earlier post about cycling in Tamparuli in Tuaran district and get them to take you up too Kudat, or strike a rental deal with them.

All the cycle stores / outlets in KK do NOT do rentals.

The adventure store outlets (there are only two) in KK do NOT do rentals, i.e. renting a tent/boots it is strictly a purchase. There is no buy back after use.

There is a new small business opportunity there me thinks!

Mentioned in this post
Kudat
Kudat
Sabah, Malaysia
Tuaran
Tuaran
Sabah, Malaysia
Reply to: Kudat and surrounding area. Anyone interested to accompany?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kudat