We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

We will be down on the Roseland for a mainly walking week in spring after an absence of a few years from that area of Cornwall. I was sad to read that the Newmans of Tolverne have retired & as a result Tolverne Cottage is closed - it was always an excellent spot for lunch/coffee etc. Does anyone know if you are still allowed to drive down there to view the moored ships & park, perhaps along the access road?

Apart from photographing ships we were hoping to walk the footpath up behind the cottage via Tolverne to the Philleigh road & perhaps also then go across the KHF on foot to walk through Trelissick woods along the estuary. It seems a faff & unecessary expense to have to take the car across KHF (although as NT members we can park for free at Trelissick) as we will be taking a ferry trip with car on another day anyway to go further afield.

21 replies to this topic
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

Hi

I didn't know Smugglers was closed. Do you have a link where you got the info from?

I would think you could still drive down there and park, but can't be sure.

I may take a drive down there soon to find out!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

I read this article a while back - from August 2013

thisiscornwall.co.uk/Smugglers-Cottage-tearo…

Perhaps it will re-open in due course, but if it costs as much to eat there as it does to visit the gardens at Tregothnan I won't be going there! Will be interested to hear a report back from Badcat.

Was also sad to read of the demise of Trevarno & the Gardening Museum.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

When are you down? I will try and pay a visit soon to update you before you arrive.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

Not till mid May. Cheers me 'handsome! I would have asked some friends who live in Cornwall about this but they are way down near Zennor so Roseland is well off their radar

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

Ok, might take me a week or so to get down there, but will do before May. If I don't forget!! : )

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

Update on Smugglers at Tolverne. I've been down there today and its very much closed. There are signs saying 'building site' 'keep out' and the like, inc on the approach road. We walked down to Smugglers and as the site gates were open, peered thru ,and the place is fenced off with no access at all. Its sad to see, as it was always a bustling little place full of life.

I found this news which says its going to be a boat and yacht base with no mention of it re opening as a café. tregothnan.co.uk/living-estate/…

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

Thanks Badcat - appreciate the PM as have been away a few days so not been watching this.

What a shame! But I wonder what they have done about the public footpath that runs from behind the cottage - perhaps got an official closure on it for now. Were you able to park OK back along the road?

It was such a lovely spot on the river & very interesting with the WW2 associations.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

We did park on the approach lane, but there were notices from the start saying 'keep out, building site' which as it was a Sunday, I chose to ignore! There was only one other car down there and we saw no one, so basically, no, you can't go down there at all presently.

You cannot access the actual cottage as its all fenced off, so not knowing the footpath, i'm not sure about it.

The website didn't give any timescale on reopening to serve the yachts, but it looks like its going to just be a home now, not open to the public, though I would presume access to the waterfront will still be possible.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

Perhaps it will end up as an upmarket holiday cottage. Better rethink our plans!

Brighton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking

I enjoyed many walks in this area as a visitor to Cornwall but saddened to see the site of Smugglers cottage at Tolverne is now private and turned into a prestigious boat yard to erode more of the natural ambience of the area. All D-Day reminders have been removed and the area sanitized. I would hope the new residents of the cottage are abiding by the Grade II listed building status under English Heritage certification this property is registered - Happy days to all.

Reply to: Tolverne Cottage - access & parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Roseland Peninsula