We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night Life

Maidenhead, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Night Life

Hi guys

We are hoping to come to Westward Ho! next year for a Hen do, we have found the perfect accommodation, which is the main reason of us going to Westward Ho!. However, we're a little concerned about local night life. We don't want anything crazy, but somewhere we can have a nice meal, some drinks and maybe a bit of live music somewhere would be great. Have we picked the right place? Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,034 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night Life

Hi Karen, welcome to the forums.

What time of year are you planning?

Maidenhead, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Night Life

Hi,

We're looking to come mid November next year.

Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night Life

Westward Ho! is a traditional style family seaside town, it is sleepy in the winter months and more of a slots and fish and chips type place generally, with a golden sand beach.

A lot of locals say the Pier House is a good place to eat:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

There are a number of eateries and pubs, though. Nearby Bideford is fairly lively for night life, too.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night Life

We love Westward Ho! There are several nice restaurants and I think you might like Tea on the Green if it is open then - great cakes in an afternoon. The Pier House is nice for an evening meal, but not sure if they have live music. Bideford is just a short bus or taxi ride away.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,034 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night Life

Looks like Bideford is a bet for music. I thought it might be so.

November is going to be very quiet. Seaside towns that thrive on summer visitors. I live in one and November is the time the summer trade has ended and Christmas ahead so staff take holidays, drink stocks are low.

However it's early days and nearer the time you may see some of the pubs advertising live music in the evenings. It will be a lot of fun if they do as it will be more like a party with the locals. I know there are some good groups playing around there. Being near a surfing area the young crowd like their music in the evenings. Winter makes little difference to that.

You may want to have an outing the next day and Appledore nearby is unusual with interesting houses. They do great coffee and cakes at a little cafe on the sea front called the Coffee Cabin. Sought it out because I'm fussy about my coffee.

Or if you are more into savoury Johns at Instow (nice long beach to walk and a pub) does really good range of olives, cheeses and breads.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night Life

Take warm clothes, a few bottles, and your wellies for the beach, and I am sure you will have a great time!

Maidenhead, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Night Life

Thanks guys! We are normally a group of coffee and cake girls, with a few glasses in the evening but seeing as it's a Hen Do, thought we should at least try and have a night out somewhere! Thanks for the help :)

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night Life

Then make sure you visit Tea on the Green!

Maidenhead, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Night Life

Finally got round to looking at Tea on the Green, oh dear god I don't think I'm ever going to leave it!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Night Life

It is a fun place, and the scones are the size of a small house! Great place for a girls' afternoon tea.

Reply to: Night Life
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Westward Ho