We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On Road Traffic Scams

Alton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
On Road Traffic Scams

While on holiday in Weymouth a few days ago I pulled up at the traffic lights to wait for the green light, while stopped there was a loud knock on the passenger window by a man, I lowered the window and he shouted you have just hit a pedestrian pull over and give me your details or I will report you to the police, I said no, raised the window and continued on my journey, I knew I had not hit anyone and so I was not worried about that but I was concerned that this man would report my number and give a distorted view of the incident, I returned home the following day and visited my local police station in Hampshire who informed me there was an increasing number of incidents where men say you have hit them and they will report you if you do not give them money, I did not fall for it but I can see how a visitor to the region could be scammed.....BE WARNED

Mentioned in this post
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
Hampshire
Hampshire
England, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: On Road Traffic Scams

How do you know it was a scam?

Alton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On Road Traffic Scams

I only had my own instinct to go with but I knew that I had not hit any one or any thing also I checked the car for scrapes dints etc and there was nothing and finally you had to be there to understand what was later proved to be by our local police, by the way, when I did go to my local police I was told that they would have had to register the incident within 24 hours and to have independent witnesses either visual or CCTV so I was put at ease.

I see your based in Bingley..is that Bingley Nr Leeds ? if so you are well aware that we Yorkshiremen have a second sence when it comes to rip-offs ??!!!

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
3. Re: On Road Traffic Scams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2016, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Weymouth
More Weymouth Topics