We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled accessible seafront accomdation

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled accessible seafront accomdation

Please can anyone help..I have spent far too long trawling the net and getting muddled.

I would love to visit weymouth next month, I am a wheelchair user and need an adapted bathroom. I have to return to the room during the day to change wheelchair batteries and rest before going out again so am hoping for a fairly central place to stay that we can adventure out from. My ideal would be a few minutes wheel from the beach so i can pop out and enjoy the sea as often as i am able. Parking isn't an issue as we travel by train.

I have phoned a few places that say 'accessible' and they are just not quite accessible enough for my wheels.

Please does anyone have a recomendation?

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
244 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled accessible seafront accomdation

many hotels on the seafront are Georgian design and have steps to the front door, although in some cases they may let you in through the back if they have parking, especially the larger ones. Others with easier access have breakfast rooms in basement which would probably be no good either, Don't know if the rooms are suitable but you could try the Prince Regent, or Russell,& The Bay Royal. Just up from the sea front is the Rembrandt it has a disabled ground floor room, and easy access into building. You could also consider the Premier Inn Seafront. Situated at Lodmoor end its just over the road from the beach, I assume it has ground floor rooms, as its a national chain, food is taken at the Brewers Fayre next door. The hotels I suggested can be found on this site. Hope you find something suitable. Once here you can motor along the seafront easily as its flat, and many of the shops too are accessible. We even have a beach wheelchair which can go on the sand and a beach hut for disabled, but not sure how you hire them I'm afraid. The hotels may know though. Sorry its taken so long to reply, I've not been available much lately.

Mentioned in this post
Russell Hotel
Russell Hotel
882 Reviews
Weymouth, UK
Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel
Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel
496 Reviews
Weymouth, UK
Premier Inn Weymouth Seafront Hotel
Premier Inn Weymouth...
1,692 Reviews
Weymouth, UK
Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled accessible seafront accomdation

Thank you so much for the reply.

We had to postpone until my health picks up so this info is still very relevant to us. I will have a look at those hotels.

We will still visit as I am keen to see the sea again. I was going to phone tourist office about the wheelchair hire, but its good to know about the beach hut as i'd need somewhere safe to leave my normal chair as they dont come with locks.

Premierinns are really good with disabled facilities usually but i thought it might be too far away from everything so its nice to know its just over the road. Will try other places first as its nice to experience different accomodation when i can.

Thank you for your time and reply

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
244 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled accessible seafront accomdation

Hi, The premier inn seafront is at Lodmoor , near the Sea Life,it isn't right in the centre of town but, if you cross over the road from hotel you can wheel straight down the Esplanade into the town. I have found out that the beach chair and hut are available from the Beach Office, situated on the seafront above the Haven caravan sales building. The actual office is upstairs& at the moment I haven't got a phone number for you, if I find one I will post it on here, so it can help others. I know the buggy/chair is free to use and just sits on the seafront but not sure about the hut access. If necessary Weymouth Council should be able to advise.

Mentioned in this post
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled accessible seafront accomdation

Thank you catsmother

do you know how long it would take to walk/wheel into town from the premierinn.. i've been trying to work it out on google maps and getting muddled.

hoping to squeeze in a seaside break before the school holidays start so its less busy.

dorset
Level Contributor
228 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled accessible seafront accomdation

Hi, my husband had the job of pushing me along the seafront from lodmoor a few times last year when I was confined to a wheelchair. It is an easy flat walk/push and would be easy on a scooter too. We think it took about 20-25 minutes though we may have stopped for an ice cream or cup of tea along the way! I cannot remember having any real problems in my wheelchair in weymouth, if you have a blue badge there is plenty of parking on the seafront too. I also remember being easily able to get on the decking of the cafes on the seafront. The premier inn is a good choice and it is a lovely walk along the seafront. You can also go the other direction to Bowleaze (though not as easily accessible) there is a nice cafe there and it's nice to walk/wheel along by the sea.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disabled accessible seafront accomdation

thank you kevsue thats really helpful

7. Re: Disabled accessible seafront accomdation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2016, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Weymouth
More Weymouth Topics