We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banbury......a dump!

Which Banbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Banbury......a dump!

After recently visiting Banbury with my wife, I was very surprised and disappointed. We visited during the day, the streets were full of the great un-washed and unemployable, drunk groups of smokers outside the pubs, effin & jeffin for all to hear.

There is no way I would venture into the town centre on an evening, come to think of it, I would never go back to Banbury at any time. Yet another English county town destroyed by the scum class.

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
716 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banbury......a dump!

Come on, don't sit on the fence. What did you REALLY think of the place?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Banbury......a dump!

Seeing as towns and cities the length and breadth of the British Isles are full of ill disciplined feral yobs, why would you think Banbury would be any different?

I mean, it has a Job Centre, a Primark and a Wetherspoons, so why not a bunch of tracksuit wearing, white baseball hatted, pasty faced hoodies to populate them.

London
Level Contributor
839 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Banbury......a dump!

Why would anyone join TA just to come out with this snooty claptrap?

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banbury......a dump!

To help others? To give MY OWN personal impression of a place?

Sorry, I thought that was the idea behind TA?

Perhaps that only applies if you say something nice about a place, that would make interesting reading wouldn't it !!!

London
Level Contributor
839 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Banbury......a dump!

It is difficult to see how a few lines about the 'great unwashed' and 'scum class' can really be intended as a useful guide to a town or an attempt to help others. These are just rude, all-purpose insults that could be levelled at some parts of many towns and cannot possibly give a complete picture, even if they were not exaggerated.

What kind of historic buildings are there? Any nice old churches? Museums? Restaurants? There must be some positive things to say. A more balanced view of the town would be more credible.

6. Re: Banbury......a dump!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 22:55
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banbury......a dump!

Look, i'm sorry if I have offended people with my initial post......but, I speak as I find. when I spend my hard earned on a few days away for me and the war office, I want things to be as nice as possible. I first visited Banbury about 28 years ago, and had not been back until now. I remembered the town as being very pleasant, but this time I was very disappointed.

The weather was glorious, and I was looking forward to a nice walk around, perhaps sitting outside a pub with a cold one, watching the world go by.

Unfortunately, this was not what I experienced, so I simply told it as I found it, if that has upset some people, so be it, but I speak as I find.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banbury......a dump!

I remember a few years ago getting rather upset at someone's observations of a Saturday afternoon in Cardiff, which were similar in tone to the OP's and I reacted in similar terms to some of the posters in this thread. I did so because I felt that the remarks were unfairly maligning my city.

However, the lesson I learned from that episode was that you can never deny someone what they feel, and if the OP felt strongly that the over-riding impression of their visit to Banbury was of a day ruined by the atmosphere, then so be it. The language may be emotive (as it was in the post about Cardiff which had upset me) but the observation, and the reaction, stands.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Banbury......a dump!

Why do people join TA just to slag a place off.

What's the odds we will never hear from Bob again after this thread as run is coarse.

I was in Banbury a few weeks ago and enjoyed it.

Yes I went into weaterspoons for a drink so what.

We also went into 2 more pubs and had a good time.

The Big issue seller was very polite to us. And as for smokers in doorways. I was in West Yorkshire last weekend and I can tell you, you get smokers there as well believe it or not. As for the Great unwashed/ unemployed. Well I walked out of a job on friday so I must be one of them.

So to end with, Bobbob try to see the good in a place instead of the bad and you will have a must better time on holiday.

ian480.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,763 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Banbury......a dump!

No offence to Bobbo, who has at least started to add a little context to his very personal rant, but today of all days is not a good moment for the good people of yorkshire to start a slanging match with the good people of Banbury. Sadly Yorkshire is about to be put under one very big media microscope and I feel some sympathy for anyone living there. Peace and love people!

Get answers to your questions about Banbury
Recent Conversations