We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

st judes

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
243 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
st judes

do you know st judes brewery the small micro unit from ipswich that i have wrote about before i understand is going to open in december a new larger pub twice the size and more than the one in norwich rd, in felixstowe near the pier, hope he does well

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: st judes

Yes I read about this or heard it on the radio few weeks ago. To be honest it wouldn't take much for a new pub to be bigger than the Norwich rd one. Although I like the way the Norwich rd one has been fitted out, it is still way too small for my liking. The only place in the pub that seems to have spare room is just before the bar. But then getting to the toilets is always a nightmare trying to squeeze past people.

As for the new pub in Felixstowe, I'm suprised they chose that location to be honest. It may do well in the warm summer months but I'm not convinced about winter time. I would have thought a town centre location would suit the pub better.

Either way I do hope they do well. You never know they could open more in the future

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
613 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: st judes

its a shame that the larger venue wasn't in Ipswich!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
243 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: st judes

i tried the felixstowe one does not feel the same as drinking in the smaller one it felt to big lacking that feel of the micro brewer

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
613 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: st judes

i love the smaller one, like you say has a very good 'feel' to it

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: st judes

The one in Ipswich (St Matthew's Street) is now closed:(

RIP

Edited: 23 May 2012, 21:31
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
243 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: st judes

both have now close ,on the door of ipswich it has , goodnight closed thankyou,its a shame as when i was in the food trade i sold st judes when frank first produced it,i think by opening up felixstowe he over stretched his finances and also him self,

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: st judes

Yeah there was an article in the Evening star about it the other day:

ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ipswich_stress_causes…

Always a shame when a pub closes.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: st judes

While times are tough in the pub trade, from what he says himself it does seem as though it was little more than a hobby for him, one in which he's now lost interest. Even if he concluded it had been a mistake to open two pubs, to close both seems unnecessary. It's also odd that he didn't at least try to put them on the market as going concerns.

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: st judes

"It's also odd that he didn't at least try to put them on the market as going concerns"

Now that was the strangest thing I thought about when I read the article. Absolutely bizzare!!. I do wonder if there is more to this story that we have been told. I mean the second pub in Felixstowe hasn't even been open that long and to shut both down without trying to sell or find a manager or partner to run the operation???

Ipswich, Suffolk
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: st judes

It's really sad, I liked the Ipswich one (didn't get a chance to visit the Felixstowe pub). It was usually reasonably busy whenever I was in there, although I know the article in the newspaper mentioned that the owner had a health scare so that's unfortunate. Back to my other usual haunts of The Dove or The Greyhound then.

Get answers to your questions about Ipswich