We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Morning/Late Afternoon Hiking at Preikestolen

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Early Morning/Late Afternoon Hiking at Preikestolen

We will arrive Stavanger airport on 17th May at 6pm and are planning to do the hiking for Pulpit Rock on 18th May. In order to avoid the crowd, we would like to stay at Preikestolen Hostel for a night before starting the hike in the early morning. Could you please advise on the followings:

1. Is it possible go to Preikestolen Hostel on the same night after we arrived Stavanger? From what I searched online, it seems like the ferry from Stavanger to Tau runs until very late so we will be able to take the ferry to Tau? After that, are we able to go to Preikestolen by taxi if there is no bus? We are a group of 4 so assuming the taxi fare is around $500kr, it's not too expensive comparing to Boreal bus ticket which costs $150kr each? Please correct me I am wrong.

The ideal plan is like:

17th: Arriving Stavanger at 6pm > Preikestolen (sleep at Preikestolen Hostel)

18th: Early morning hiking at Preikestolen> Stavanger (sleep at Stavanger)

19th: Sightseeing at Stavanger > Bergen

https://www.norled.no/contentassets/d1245a01…

2. If the above planning doesn't work, the second option is to start the hiking in the late afternoon at around 4pm (sunset at around 10pm). If so, are we likely be able to avoid the crowd as they are likely on the way coming downhill?

The second plan is like:

17th: Arriving Stavanger at 6pm (sleep at Stavanger)

18th: Morning sightseeing at Stavanger> start the hiking at Preikestolen in the late afternoon> stay at Preikestolen hostel

19th: Preikestolen > Stavanger > Bergen

Thanks in advance for the generous advises!

6 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,308 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Morning/Late Afternoon Hiking at Preikestolen

You need to count NOK 650 approximately for the taxi and you need to order in advance.

https://www.taxikalkulator.no/ enter correct date, time of day and prebooking. In addition you need to pay the passenger fare on the ferry of NOK 60 per person. With the bus package, I believe the ferry is included in the fare. May is very early season, perhaps the crowds are not so bad ?

Also depends a bit on cruise ships in Stavanger at your time of visit. There are actually 3 ships in on May 18th ! so perhaps your plan B is the best option.

stavangerhavn.no/wp-content/uploads/Cruiseli…

Edited: 11 May 2018, 16:33
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Morning/Late Afternoon Hiking at Preikestolen

Many thanks klimaflyktning for your advices. Very useful information!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,566 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Morning/Late Afternoon Hiking at Preikestolen

I think your plan A is the best option. You will get there to the top before the cruise passengers get to start the hike.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early Morning/Late Afternoon Hiking at Preikestolen

Thank you Pippi. We tend to stick with plan A too although it’s around $130kr more per person due to the taxi fare but then we can start the hike much earlier to avoid the crowd.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,566 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early Morning/Late Afternoon Hiking at Preikestolen

I think you would love to stay at the Pulpit Rock Lodge.

It is still chilly in the mountains, so make sure that you wear layers. Here is the long term forecast to give you an idea about the weather conditions:

https:/…long.html

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early Morning/Late Afternoon Hiking at Preikestolen

Thanks you for the reminder on the weather. We will check again before we go for the hike :)

Reply to: Early Morning/Late Afternoon Hiking at Preikestolen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted