We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day enough to stay in the city to climb the Pulpit rock?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
One day enough to stay in the city to climb the Pulpit rock?

Hello,

I will be in Bergen for two days (Thursday and Friday) and need to be in Oslo Saturday 11am for my return flight home. I was thinking to take a shuttle flight to Stavanger on Friday morning (8am flight) and stay overnight then fly out Saturday morning. Would that give me enough time to climb the Pulpit Rock and back? It seems like there is a ferry ride so one day may not be enough?

Thank you for any kind advise.

Edited: 04 June 2017, 15:15
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day enough to stay in the city to climb the Pulpit rock?

Yes, but why all the hassle when Bergen has plenty of walks in the surrounding hills and a lot else to offer. Consider also taking the bus back to Bergen for a bit more scenic tour.

P.S. It's not a climb, it's a walk.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day enough to stay in the city to climb the Pulpit rock?

Hi Dyoll,

Thank you for your reply. I see your point.. It will be a lot of hassle flying from Bergen and fly out the next day to Oslo. From what I read online, it seems like the Pulpit rock is a must-visit? And since it's only $50 USD to fly from Bergen to Stavanger I thought it's worth a try.

So you are saying there are similar sites and rocks near Bergen area as well?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,426 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day enough to stay in the city to climb the Pulpit rock?

Don't forget to add on the costs of airport transfers. And if you have separate tickets from Stavanger to Oslo and then Oslo to SF then you are probably cutting it too fine on Saturday - first flight from Stavanger arrives at 09:40 in Oslo (Random Saturday in June) - not a transfer I'd risk on separate tickets with baggage to be picked up and checked in for a flight at 11:00.

Pulpit rock is fine if you want to go with the selfie crowds, but for serious hikers there are plenty of alternatives. Rather a waste of two days in Bergen.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day enough to stay in the city to climb the Pulpit rock?

When somewhere has become known as a 'must-do' or 'must-visit' on social media, unfortunately it is very likely to have already been spoiled by crowds of visitors.

As Dyoll says, there are plenty of great places for a day's hike in and around Bergen. Taking the Ulriken cable car and then walking across to the top of the Floibanen funicular would probably be the best choice if you just have one day.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day enough to stay in the city to climb the Pulpit rock?

I like your comment about the "selfie" crowd lol. I will definitely stay put in Bergen and enjoy the time there instead of rushing and try to see too many point of interests.

Thank you for the great advices.

6. Re: One day enough to stay in the city to climb the Pulpit rock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2018, 15:17