We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

Driving from Bergen to Fjaerland via E16 and then rv5. Any place we could potentially stop for reasonably priced good lunch? Also, for Fjaerland, apart from Fjaerland Fjordstue Hotel, any other cafe we could potentially go for dinner?

Same query for Geiranger. Any recommended place pls for lunch and dinner spots?

13 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

These are little rural villages, there are very few options for eating out. Balestrand would have a few more options.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 15:07
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

Geiranger has a few choices - see TA reviews - I enjoyed Brasserie Posten.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

Thanks guys for the headsup. I knew they were rural little villages but didn't expect it to be so rural.

dyoll's feedback on Brasserie Posten - it has pizzas so the children will love you for this recommendation.

But I am really stumped for Fjaerland. I am not so inclined to take the hotel 3 course dinner (not that cheap) and am looking for alternative. Driving out to Balestrand, just for dinner, seems a little bit far. Any nearer / bigger towns that we could drive to for dinner pls? If there is none, any place that we could potentially pack sandwiches / take-away meals before arriving in Fjaerland then?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

On your way from Bergen to Voss you will pass plenty of places to eat driving E16 and RV 5.

Sogndal is the regional center town. There you will find a well stocked supermarket, Meny, with a prepared food counter if you want to take away. Also 2-3 cafeterias in the Sogningen Storsenter (shopping mall).

Kate Krydder is a great place for lunch.

Dampskipskaien is awesome for both lunch and dinner https:/…dampskipskaien-p1418553

In Fjærland you have the cafeterias connected to Brevasshytta (open until 17:00 hrs) serving local cruisingfart. In addition you have Kaffistova at the glacier museum in Fjærland.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 17:20
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

Before Fjærland you’ve Sogndal and after you’ll find Skei, which has at least a hotel... on the way to Geirsnger you’ll pass Stryn, which has several choices.

Before Stryn you could drive up to Briksdalsbre Guesthouse which has great food, and in Loen you’ll find Alexandria hotel who has a lovely buffet...

By the way, where do you plans to end, plan to drive and stay overnight..?

Edited: 14 May 2018, 17:31
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

I suppose they plan to overnight in Fjærland hence the question about dinner.

In many rural places the three course dinner at the (only) hotel is the only choice except for hot dogs at the petrol station. Fjærland is still somewhat off the beaten path and with limited services. Many families choose self catering accomodation for this very reason.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

Thanks Pippi - You have given me a lot of hope now for our meals, esp Kate Krydder.

GuideGunnar - Thank you also. Did not know about Loen. Let me check out the buffet. On where we are going - We are staying overnight for 1 day in Fjaerland (driving from Bergen as previously highlighted). We thought the children could do some swimming in the fjords but have been told that it would be too cold for them. So, we will potentially look for other things to do. Possibly go and view the glaciers etc but glacier-hiking is out as we got a senior in our group that can't walk for too long. Then from Fjaerland, we will drive to Geiranger (via Hellesylt) and stay 1 night. For both these places, we have booked for accommodation beside the fjords. At Geiranger, we are looking to go to Fossevandring, Flydalsjuvet and Dalsnibba Mountain Plateau. We will not attempt the Ornevegen as we potentially have some among us that could be carsick on the hairpin bends. From Geiranger, we will be driving to Alesund. How does this sound?

Any recommendations on our plans are most welcomed.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

Hot enough for swimming in the fjords is rare. Bergen has a heated seawater pool that might be an option if weather is inviting.

Loen Skylift would suit any age I think. Otherwise, the driving makes the sightseeing, hairpins included. Hairpins means very slow driving, so I do not think car sickness would more of an issue. Many country roads are narrow and winding.

Above Fjærland, by the glacier museum you will probably get a glimpse of the glacier from the roadside parking.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

Kafé Krydder Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Kafé-Krydder-219557774727418/

Gosh, the spell check is really playing with me today. Brevasshytta is serving local cuisine, not cruisingfart!!!!

Edited: 14 May 2018, 18:15
Oslo
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger

"At Geiranger, we are looking to go to Fossevandring, Flydalsjuvet and Dalsnibba Mountain Plateau. We will not attempt the Ornevegen as we potentially have some among us that could be carsick on the hairpin bends. From Geiranger, we will be driving to Alesund. How does this sound?"

Ørnevegen (Eagles road) is just like the road to Dalsnibba

dalsnibba.no/wp-content/…utsikt8-fc.jpg

dalsnibba.no/wp-content/…nibbevegen1-fc.jpg

dalsnibba.no/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/head…

dalsnibba.no/wp-content/…nibbevegen8-fc.jpg

From Geiranger to Dalsnibba there some 40 hairpins, then you have to back Down! Ørnevegen only has some 10 hairpins

The road from Skei to Stryn has a few hairpins too

https://tinyurl.com/ycw55ujs

Reply to: Lunch and dinner places in Fjaerland and Geiranger
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted