We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days in Norway-Recommended departures from Nutshell?

TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days in Norway-Recommended departures from Nutshell?

We're planning to visit the fjords area in early Sept. We'll likely start with two days in Oslo, then take the Nutshell trip to Flam, with a side trip of three nights in Solvorn for relaxing, sight-seeing, and hiking, finishing up with a night or two in Bergen. We have three open nights between Solvorn and Bergan - what would be best -

1) a few nights in Balestrand after Solvorn and before rejoining the Nutshell trip to Bergen or is it too close or too similar to Solvorn?

2) Skip the second half of the Nutshell route and Bergen and head from Solver to the Geiranger area instead? I've read that the Flam Gudvangen is one of the most scenic parts of the trip so I'm hesitant to skip it - opinions? Is Sognefjord enough or is Geiranger not to be missed? If we drove to Geiranger, what airport would we depart from when returning to the US?

3) Other options I haven't considered? Everywhere I look is something wonderful and it is hard to narrow it down.

Although we'd love to see other parts of Norway, we're trying to keep travel time to a minimum so we can spend more time hiking and relaxing, sightseeing and getting to know just a few areas. We're looking for a relaxing, peaceful trip and prefer to avoid the crowds (which is why we'd like to take some breaks from the Nutshell tour). Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days in Norway-Recommended departures from Nutshell?

I think your option 1 is great. A bit cumbersome to stay in Solvorn without a rental car. Suggest you rent a car in Sogndal for your Solvorn stay. If you rent a car I would extend my stay in Solvorn. Going next to Balestrand is a great option for a couple of nights. Balestrand is a different experience from Solvorn in my opinion and you could do the Fjærlandsfjorden cruise as it is still offered in September.

https:/…

TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days in Norway-Recommended departures from Nutshell?

Thank you, Pippi 2! That'll give us more time for hiking and soaking in the scenery. We will rent a car for a bit more freedom, and I'm looking into the Fjærlandsfjorden cruise. I'll be reading your past posts for more suggestions. I lived in Houston for a bit too - so very different from what I expect to see in Norway!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days in Norway-Recommended departures from Nutshell?

Contact these guys for a car rental quote. They are located in Sogndal 'downtown'. Rumor has it that they are service friendly.

http://sogndal-bilpleie.no/om_oss/

TX
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days in Norway-Recommended departures from Nutshell?

Thank you! I was just trying to figure out who to use.

Reply to: 10 Days in Norway-Recommended departures from Nutshell?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted