We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utne folkmuseum and hardangerfjord...is it worth it?

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Utne folkmuseum and hardangerfjord...is it worth it?

Hei!

So im a single traveler who cannot drive a car.

I want to travel to norway for its natural beauty and its ties to music.

So I want to make the most of my trip scenic wise.

I know my options are limited without a car, and im also not big on hiking for 1 hour+

Already plan on doing the 4 hour sognefjord cruise, and 4 hour nærøyfjord cruise. Ill be staying practically on the aurland fjords so walking around there should be interesthing.

I plan on the edvard grieg and ole bull house of course!

So im making of finishing my trip with a trip tp utne. Interested in seeing the hardanger violins and costumes specifically. Thinking I could also do some sight seeing there. But ive been told by people that the hardangerfjord simply is not "worth" it. Especially not if I do not plan on hiking the eidfjord? Any opinions on this. I want to make this trip as scenic as I can. I also plan on a quiet day walking around bergen seeing bryggen and håkonshal.

Another few questuions I have is. Is bergen save to walk around in the early morning? 6 to 9 pm alone?(specifiaclly speaking the busstasjion area).

I plan on bringinh 400 euro for souvenirs/public transportation/food(I do npt drink alcohol or will be eating at restaurants) will this be sufficient?

And last. Is there any kind of traditional norwegian sweets/candy/snacks I should definitely buy/try?

Tusen tak!

6 replies to this topic
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,330 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utne folkmuseum and hardangerfjord...is it worth it?

If you want to see fjords, then Hardangerfjord is a good choice. It is one of the great fjords and with a glacier above. There is no need for hiking. But if you have already been to Sognefjord to some degree will be more of the same.

Bergen is a safe town.

There is no need to bring cash, euros you can not use (NOK or kroner however). Better bring a credit card.

Brown cheese is a specialty, basically sweet/caramel taste with different flavours depending on type of milk and process.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utne folkmuseum and hardangerfjord...is it worth it?

Yeah I know I can not use euros but still tryinh to get used to the nok idea :) I do not have credit card, I have considered getting a prepaid one just fir this , but apparantly theres about 2 euros you have to pay extra when makinh paymeny so I prefer cash

Edited: 11 May 2018, 19:50
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,021 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utne folkmuseum and hardangerfjord...is it worth it?

Cash exchange costs a lot too - the trick is to get a debit or credit card that doesn't make these foreign transaction fees. Cash is rapidly going out of favour - in today's digital world it's far more efficient and environmentally friendly to transfer money electronically than physically transport cash around from shop to bank to consumer. And when travelling a credit card provides a safety net in case of a major problem - remember all those people stuck when the Icelandic volcano erupted a few years ago - how would you get out of that on a limited amount of cash in your pocket?

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utne folkmuseum and hardangerfjord...is it worth it?

Tganks for your insight! Its tge same here, more and more people start using debit card. Do you think a prepaid credit card would work as well? Especially handy with the skyss ticketmachine instead of using coins.

Ive also seen "visa gift card"

At my local store which says can be used worldwide.

Im afraid if I take my dutch debit card with me, it wont be accepted everywhere

Edited: 11 May 2018, 21:20
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,021 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utne folkmuseum and hardangerfjord...is it worth it?

Any card associated with Visa or MasterCard will work fine. A prepaid card will work most places but they need to be on-line to check credit so there are a few places where that won't work - I guess very few nowadays. However a prepaid card doesn't give you that safety net in case of emergencies.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utne folkmuseum and hardangerfjord...is it worth it?

Ill plan on taking my own dutch debiy card with me as I need it at the airport anyway. I think ill check out if the visa giftcards they sell at my local store work abroad too. Already bought some buss tickets and both the ferry rides months before in advance so just need to print those. But ill bring a smaller amount of cash with me anyway just to be sure.

Reply to: Utne folkmuseum and hardangerfjord...is it worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted