We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise in September

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cruise in September

I will be in Norway the first week in September on a cruise. I have already been told by your kind advisers that when we dock in Bergen we can easily reach the town by ourselves (without the need of travel with our cruise company). I wonder if you could tell me if it is possible to visit Stavanger, Skjolden, Sognefjord and Geiranger by ourselves.

Thanks for your help once again.

Margtee

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,855 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise in September

Stavanger, you dock in the city center - easy walkable.

Skjolden, join excursion hopefully they offer one to the glacier. This is small village.

Geiranger, join excursion and by all means get away from the crowds. This is small village.

What do you mean by Sognefjord? This is one of the worlds longest fjords. Skjolden is located by the Sognefjord for example.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise in September

Thank you so much for your kind reply. My mistake by mentioning Sognefjord. Just had a beautiful view of Norway on television this week with two of our British cooks, The Hairy Bikers, travelling your country, in particular Gieranger looks wonderful, as do the other places. Your selection of breads and cakes look mouthwateringly delicious! Can't wait for September.

Margtee

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,855 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise in September

Hi again,

Here is more info on Stavanger:

Photos: tripadvisor.com/…34936439

Things to do - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190511-i2080-k401…

Sounds like your cruise has a very nice itinerary :-)

Are you aware that we have a trip report library? tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190455-i550-k3785…

It would be great if you would share your experiences with us after your Norway visit and post a trip report (hint, hint ;-). If you take the challenge, please post the report as a new topic on the Norway forum and then you can either link it to the trip report library yourself or we can do it for you. Easier to do it this way in case you get comments or questions to your trip report (versus posting the actual text in the trip report library).

Let us know if you have any other questions we could assist you with.

Pippi

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise in September

Thanks Pippi for all that information, I'll spend hours at the week-end looking through all those links, which I will enjoy doing. No doubt I'll ask more questions before we go away and will try to remember to post a report when we get back.

Margtee

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise in September

cruising from kristiansand to geiranger in september, any clues to the weather we might expect.

Calling at Stavanger, Aalesund, Geiranger, Bergen - easy access to tourist spots ??

thanks for any info

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,147 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise in September

The weather is variable all year, but normally rainier from September onwards. All ports mentioned should be easy to do on your own. In Geiranger you will need transport, but there is a ho-ho bus.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,855 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise in September

Julie B,

It is impossible for us to predict the weather, however statistics show September as one of the months with most rain. It is also windy on the west coast.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise in September

thank you so much for your comments, not looking forward to the rain but certainly excited about the cruise and seeing a little bit of Norway

9. Re: Cruise in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 16:17