We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency in Denmark/Norway/Sweden

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
285 reviews
Currency in Denmark/Norway/Sweden

Hello,

We are touring the 3 countries above in late August and, checking out currency, have been told we can use the Euro or the Kroner specific to each country. The bank said we can use US dollars.

Can some-one please clarify this for us?

We will spend most of our time in Norway with only a couple of days each in Copenhagen and Stockholm.

Should we just obtain an amount of each country's Kroner?

Is that the easiest solution?

Thanking you.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
108 reviews
1. Re: Currency in Denmark/Norway/Sweden

You cannot use Euros nor US dollars as payment in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. We all have our own currencies as you have already understood.

Sweden, Swedish Kroner, SEK (less expensive than the NOK)

Norway, Norwegian Kroner, NOK

Denmark, Danish Kroner, DKK (more expensive than the NOK)

You will have to use the specific currency mentioned in the corresponding country.

The best way to obtain the currency is to get money from an ATM once you are in the specific country. No need to carry a huge amount of money with you while you travel around in Scandinavia.

Debit cards and credit cards (MasterCard, Amex and Diners) are widely accepted in all 3 countries. Please note that grocery stores only accept debit cards and not credit cards. I do not carry much cash these days as there are card terminals everywhere for payment.

You can read more on Norway's official tourist website: visitnorway.com/us/…

Edited: 02 June 2011, 22:44
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
285 reviews
2. Re: Currency in Denmark/Norway/Sweden

Hello,

Thank you for the information which is greatly appreciated. I thought that would be the case but needed confirmation.

I have already checked out Norway's website but not thoroughly so will go to it again.

Cheers.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
216 reviews
3. Re: Currency in Denmark/Norway/Sweden

Even some grocery stores in Norway accept MasterCard. (Kiwi, Spar, Joker, Ultra, Meny). I always carry two credit cards (Master and AMEX) as not all accept the both. All taxis, and some long-distance buses accept credit card.

When in Denmark, remember that if you pay with credit card you will usually be charged an extra 3-4% by the location. So when in Denmark, I always withdraw cash from an ATM.

To find the ATM: In Norway look for "Minibank", in Denmark "Pengeautomat" and in Sweden "Bankomat"

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
285 reviews
4. Re: Currency in Denmark/Norway/Sweden

Hi,

Thanks for the extra info - that will be really helpful also.

Cheers.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Currency in Denmark/Norway/Sweden

Thankyou this has helped me a lot.. I am going in May 2012..and the bank here had no clue on what I should do.. This is great info..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
285 reviews
6. Re: Currency in Denmark/Norway/Sweden

Glad it has helped you out - I could find no info from the bank either. They were telling me to take US dollars.!!!!!

I just changed money in the 3 countries to the various kroners.

Some did take one another's currency but it was easier to have the correct one.

Enjoy your trip in May - the scenery was just spectacular and the people everywhere so happy to help out when they could.

Cheers.

7. Re: Currency in Denmark/Norway/Sweden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2013, 19:16