We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preliminary itinerary

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Preliminary itinerary

Hi all,

Working on my itinerary for our trip. Would love thoughts -- I don't mind driving, but don't want to spend too much time in one place either.

Night 1 Bergen

Night 2 Bergen

Night 3 Gundvangen

4 Geiranger hotel

5 Geiranger hotel

6 (need help - want to drive Atlantic Highway)

7 Trondheim

8 Trondheim

9 Hurtigruten Trondheim to Bergen

10 Bergen

Appreciate your honest thoughts.

Craig

9 replies to this topic
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Preliminary itinerary

When do you plan this trip (month)?

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2. Re: Preliminary itinerary

31 August to 9 September

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Preliminary itinerary

Basically possible.

3-4: One stop in between recommended

7, 8: I would skip one night Trondheim for Alesund, Molde, Atlantic Route

9: Check if Hurtigruten ship with car transport is available at your chosen date. Otherwise may be higher cost for one-way car rental.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 05:59
Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4. Re: Preliminary itinerary

Hi — so are you saying take a night away from Geiranger and spend one night between Gundvangen and Geiranger?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,303 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Preliminary itinerary

Perhaps go somewhere suitable at the north side of the Sognefjord rather than Gudvangen.

Gudvangen to Geiranger is a long drive (but still doable), especially as driving makes up a good chunck of the sightseeing.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 15:42
Oslo
Level Contributor
17,411 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Preliminary itinerary

Gudvangen to Geiranger is no problem driving in one day merely as transport, but as Klimaf as points out; in this region transport is the sightseeing.

Geiranger is basically like any other small village in western Norway, except the many cruise passengers and 4-5 hotels. Unless you have some activities planned there, perhaps move on after one night?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
193 reviews
7. Re: Preliminary itinerary

Agree with #5. Since you plan the Geiranger area, skip Gudvangen. Go north on E39 + Fv55 to Sogndal or even Fjærland for night 3.

And, enough with one night in Geiranger. Continue to Molde or Kristiansund before going to Trondheim.

Also, check out the reversed itinerary, because this will include Hurtigruten going into Hjørundfjord: Take the car on Hurtigruten from Bergen to Trondheim. Then drive south to Bergen: Trondheim - AR - Molde - Geiranger - Fjærland/Sogndal - Lavik - Bergen.

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8. Re: Preliminary itinerary

This is very helpful -- thank you!

The reason we are spending two nights in Geiranger is to catch a break and not be traveling so much every day. Geiranger is in the middle of our trip. I can delete the Gudvangen hotel and we can go to the north side of the fjord. I thought maybe Balestrand, but if you recommend Sogndal we can do that. We would like to take a boat trip on a fjord for a couple hours, so whichever town is best to do that, I am open to ideas!

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
193 reviews
9. Re: Preliminary itinerary

Geiranger is a small place, I would recommend taking that 2-nighter in Molde - after you fought your way trough the Trollstigen congestion you’ll need the rest.

Balestrand is a beautiful little place to stay, the reason I mentioned Sogndal was out of driving distances, but Balestrand-Geiranger is still reasonable.

Reply to: Preliminary itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted