We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY Norway in a Nutshell & hiking with a toddler

San Jose, California
1 post
Save Topic
DIY Norway in a Nutshell & hiking with a toddler

I'm usually good at doing research but as we are booking this trip last minute I'm in need of advice.

Current plan is to do DIY Norway in a a Nutshell from Bergen to Oslo with 2 nights stay. I think I have all the train/bus/boats tickets figured out thanks to helpful posts. The only thing is on the • Gundvangen to Flam Fjord Cruise we'd like to get off and stop in Undredal and I read you can simply just go back to the dock and catch the next boat...anybody know?

1. Accommodation: SO...looks like our 2 options of places to stay (last minute availability) are vangsgaarden which I've read is fairly easy to access from Flam with no car or Aurlandsdalen Turisthytte (apparently you can take a train from Flam??). Any thoughts on these 2 locations or suggestions of others.

2.Also, we are hoping during our 2 night stop to do a bit of hiking (nothing too intense as we will be carrying toddler in hiking backpack) and maybe canoeing or biking. Anybody know if you can rent baby seat on the bikes? We read about cycling to Aurland and looking for some playground by the fjord by the cruise ship quay.

3. Weather & packing: We are avid travellers and usually pretty well prepared, but just looking for extra advice on packing for end of May/beg June. We've got layers, rain gear, warm fleece, hiking boots, hats/mitts for the toddler etc.

Thanks for any advice!!

2 replies to this topic
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY Norway in a Nutshell & hiking with a toddler

Here's the playground and a cruise ship at Flam.

https://goo.gl/maps/VmgkDRGqdq62

If you haven't already got a waterproof suit and rubber boots for the toddler you can buy quite cheaply in Norway. Check the weather forecast though because for a short stay it may not be necessary and I guess you wouldn't use it at home.

There's probably a lower age limit for canoeing so that may not be possible. Check with the Flam tourist office about child seats with bike rental. If it's possible then cycling to Aurland would be a good trip, but you'd probably want to take a taxi or the local bus with luggage.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,746 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY Norway in a Nutshell & hiking with a toddler

Aurlandsdalen Turisthytte at Østerbø is not accessible without a car, so grab the Vangsgaarden option before it is too late.

The catamaran Flåm-Balestrand at Aurland once every day in each direction and the classic sightseeing ferries between Gudvangen and Flåm also do Aurland and Undredal. Getting off and getting back on used to be possible, but not sure that info is valid any longer, so better chat with the tourist office. Did you intend to do Gudvangen-Undredal and then continue Undredal-Flåm on a later ferry ?

Reply to: DIY Norway in a Nutshell & hiking with a toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted