We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night - Geiranger to Trondheim

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 night - Geiranger to Trondheim

Hi all...

We have one night (with a car) from our stay in Geiranger until Trondheim. I don't know if best place to go, once we leave Geirganger, is Alesund, Molde or Kristiansund. I would like to travel the Atlantic Highway.

Thoughts on which town is best for a quick overnight stay?

Thanks,

2 replies to this topic
Oslo
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
96 reviews
1. Re: 1 night - Geiranger to Trondheim

Geiranger to Åndalsnes via Trollstigen is the classical drive. I prefer the easy and scenic drive via Dombås-Oppdal, you can even do the detour via Rondane as the drive to Trondheim is not so long

For fjord-valley land you can drive via Sunndalsøra-Oppdal with a detour to Eikesdalen

For coastal landscape you can include Atlantic road (via Molde), within 2 days drive you can also include a detour to Ålesund.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
193 reviews
2. Re: 1 night - Geiranger to Trondheim

Overnight in Kristiansund, go via Trollstigen - Åndalsnes - Molde - Fv664 Bud - Atlantic road. Then to Trondheim via Fv680 Aure the next day.

Or, including Tafjord, which is a nice detour before Trollstigen, stop in Molde and continue to Bud - AR - Kristiansund - Aure - Trondheim the next day. This is ca 6 hour drive, you can save a small hour by skipping Aure and head for E39 after Kristiansund. Also very scenic.

Reply to: 1 night - Geiranger to Trondheim
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted