We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway in a Nutshell Advice w/ kids

Washington DC...
4 posts
Save Topic
Norway in a Nutshell Advice w/ kids

Greetings all. I'm planning a few days in Norway as part of a larger Scandinavia family trip and seeking some advice on logistics. As of right now the tentative plan is to fly into Bergen and spend two days/two nights there, then do the Norway in a Nutshell tour (over the course of one day) from Bergen to Oslo. We then plan to spend 3 nights in Oslo and fly out from there. We will be travelling with two young kids (ages 4 and 1.5) and while I was a little apprehensive about doing the nutshell tour with them, I'm encouraged by some of the other favorable reports I've read on this site from others who have done it with kids of similar ages.

My question is whether it would be better to break up the Norway in a Nutshell tour with an overnight somewhere (Flam?) and spend one less night in Oslo at the end? On the pro-side this would break up what will otherwise be a rather long day, but on the con-side it adds another stop (with loading/unloading our luggage etc) rather than being able to get settled in our hotel in Oslo for the extra night. Also, while we are eager to see the scenery along the route we're not looking to do any hikes/bike rides etc given the age of our kids, which seems to be the crux of what there is to do along the route if we were to add in a stop.

Are there any other factors I'm not considering or other benefits of adding in an overnight stop along the way? If we were to stop would Flam be our best bet? Alternately, if anyone has any suggestions for a alternative/shorter travel route between Bergen and Oslo that would still give us a good taste of the scenery/Fjords I would definitely be open to that as well.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Flam
Flam
Aurland Municipality, Norway
1 reply
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,565 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway in a Nutshell Advice w/ kids

Norway in a Nutshell is the only option you have to see one of the iconic fjords from Oslo effectively.

Flåm is the best place to stay if you want to take a break in the journey and at the same time stay by the fjord.

Highly recommend you take your kids to the aquarium in Bergen, it is a huge hit with kids at the age as yours.

Also note, that kids in Norway play outside even if the weather is bad. It wears them out, so bring layered clothing including wind and waterproof for the optimal Norway experience.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Reply to: Norway in a Nutshell Advice w/ kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted