We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

Lille, France
Level Contributor
102 posts
464 reviews
Save Topic
Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

I have never been to Norway, I am planning a trip for this summer. I have been thinking about going to Oslo and Bergen. I have been planned 4 days in Oslo and 2 days in Bergen. A friend who used to live in Stockholm and traveled frequently to Oslo, told me that Oslo looks like Jersey City, full of modern buildings rather impersonal. She suggested to inverse my planning and spend 2 days in Oslo and 4 days in Bergen taking two day for day-trips while in Bergen. What do you think? I like museums and old architecture. My favorite cities are Vienna, Prague and Paris.

12 replies to this topic
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,597 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

Listen to your friend. :-) 😉

Lille, France
Level Contributor
102 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

Thanks !!!! I need this confirmation.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,721 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

Oslo is indeed a modern city with plenty of modern architecture, some of them, like the opera house are quite striking landmarks. It has a big city feel.

Central Bergen is compact and and has a small town feel compared to Oslo and quite a few medieval landmarks, areas with cobbled alleys and charming wooden houses, the surrounding hills with excellent views. But do not expect anything grand like Vienna or Paris ! Stockholm is probably the grandest of the Scandinavian capitals.

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,090 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

Oslo also has a lot of architecture from late 1800 when the city expanded rapidly. So it is not only the modern steel and concrete jungle around the Central station

Lille, France
Level Contributor
102 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

Thanks for your reply klimaflyktning. I am ok with Bergen being a small town. I am also a big fan of small cities that are charming. I loved Brugges and Colmar for instance.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,721 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

Those two are still on my list. Brügge is a Hansatown like Bergen and share some history.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

You can do that way or that way.

I do not share the view of your friends and for me it makes no sense to put a stamp of one city onto another, especially not from a 400 yr old US city onto a over 1,000 years old European capital.

"full of modern buildings rather impersonal". My view: There are a few office buildings near main station and some new appartment houses at the coastal part (https:/…) but there are still a lot of old and beautiful parts, e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/gKyzguGZzPy

For sure Scandinavian cities were built in most cases more functional than mid European cities but not one of the cities I have been to I would call impersonal.

May be this wording tells more about the person than about the destination?

If you search for old towns - come to Germany: we have a few UNESCO heritage old towns, e.g. Rothenburg, Goslar or Bamberg and a few others, also at Baltic Sea such as Lübeck, Wismar or Stralsund. More singular areas such as in Bergen you can find in Hamburg and Bremen (also Hanse).

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,090 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

Areas like Frogner and Majorstuen is almost like a french town or Berlin 100 y ago.

Around Karl Johan is an interesting mix neo-classical, functionalist and baroque.

But of course, Oslo is not Paris, Prague, Vienna or Lyon

Old Oslo burned in 1624 and a new city was built a few km west. Essentially there is hardly anything older than 1624, not even the street. Exceptions are Akerc CHurch and AKershus fortress.

Oslo
Level Contributor
360 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

and if you want to see some of the old streets of Oslo you should go to Telthusbakken, Damstredet, the upper part of Vålerenggata and Normannsgate. You could also check out buildings like Frognerseteren. Or you could go to Norsk Folkemuseum where you will se tons of old, personal buildings.

In my opinion: Bergen is a more beautiful city than Oslo (if you are among those who are lucky with the weather). Oslo has more other things to offer.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
730 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?

Your friend was probably just in the financial district downtown in Oslo. The Barcode Area is very modern, but actually quite cool. But there are lots of nice areas to explore in Oslo as well: Sagene, along Akerselva, Kampen, Frogner, Aker Brygge ...

PS: Most of us would say that Jersey is "The jersey of Europe". I did not even know there was a Jersey in the US :)

Reply to: Is Oslo the Jersey of Europe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted