We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route, accommodation & activities please.

1 post
Save Topic
Best route, accommodation & activities please.

Hi everyone,

Hope all are well 😉

Just some help please.

In December myself, my partner & two kids are travelling to Oslo Airport/TRF Airport, Norway. From Manchester, Uk.

I’m looking for the best routes to Geilo, please?

There’s Husky Dog Sledding there which I think will suite my children Age 6 & 3 best.

I wasn’t sure to take the cheaper flight to TRF, drive from there to Geilo, but I’m unsure of which route is the best for scenery & safety that time of year.

I will then drive from Geilo to Oslo. All of this over 2 days. Does this sound realistic?

Or.....

Is it best paying the extra £100 per person for the flight and driving from Oslo Airport, to Geilo and then returning to Oslo airport. The same, over two days?

If I get the hire car from TRF airport, the cheaper airport, it will cost £100 more to return it to Oslo.

Even though the routes are long, I’m guessing you will want extra time because of wanting to stop and take in Norway’s natural beauty?

Also, on the route you suggest, where are the best places to stop for accommodation?

I’m open to any suggestion?

Thank you 🙏

Mentioned in this post
Oslo Airport
Oslo Airport
Gardermoen, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Geilo
Geilo
Hol Municipality, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
4 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,258 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route, accommodation & activities please.

I suggest you take the train - the mountains can be challenging in winter, even for locals with extensive winter driving experience.

Oslo
Level Contributor
16,842 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route, accommodation & activities please.

Train from Drammen or Oslo to Geilo (Bergen line)

Train from Sandefjord airport to Drammen or Geilo

With children I Guess Train is better than bus

Mentioned in this post
Drammen
Drammen
Drammen Municipality, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Geilo
Geilo
Hol Municipality, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Sandefjord
Sandefjord
Sandefjord Municipality, Norway
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route, accommodation & activities please.

What time and dates do your flights arrive and depart?

It's a 4 hour drive from either airport to Geilo in summer, add at least another hour in winter, possibly more if weather conditions are bad. Not much difference in scenery and it's dark by 3pm. Is it really worth quite a long and possibly stressful drive with two young children if you will have so little time there?

Check the age limits for dog sledding. It may not be allowed with very young children.

Mentioned in this post
Geilo
Geilo
Hol Municipality, Norway
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route, accommodation & activities please.

For two days only..? I hope you can add more days for your stay...

If you haven't any winter driving experience you should follow the advice above and take the train from Torp airport (bus to the station) via Drammen to Geilo.

If you want to drive, the scenery aren't any exciting, only flat landscape before you begin on the valley up tp the mountains...

Please check this two routes, up and down between Torp and Geilo, https://goo.gl/maps/66Gir336Rn72

Stay in Geilo, since its only a 4-5 hours drive up to the mountains..;)

Mentioned in this post
Drammen
Drammen
Drammen Municipality, Norway
Geilo
Geilo
Hol Municipality, Norway
Reply to: Best route, accommodation & activities please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted