We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Norway travel in June

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Western Norway travel in June

We are traveling June 18-25 starting in Oslo. We plan go to Bergen along the Norway in a Nutshell route.

First question: We are considering doing some or all of the Rallarvegen cycling trail from Hallingskarvet to Flam and wondered if the snow will be clear enough by that time to do all of it. If we do the cycling then we will stay the night in Flam or somewhere nearby and then continue on to Bergen.

We will stay 2-3 nights in Bergen and then must return to Oslo to fly home. Would the express boat to Balestrand and then to Flam be a more scenic route than returning the entire way by train? If we do that we are also considering spending a night in Balestrand before continuing to Oslo.

Last question: is there a lot to see and do in Bergen or is it more of a home base for the fjord sightseeing? We do like to hike and would love to find a good 2-3 hour scenic hike in one of our destinations.

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Rallarvegen
Rallarvegen
53 Reviews
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Flam
Flam
Balestrand
Balestrand
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
9 replies to this topic
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Norway travel in June

If you want to stay in Balestrand (and yes, it is worth it!) then it is OK to take the express boat to Balestrand. Otherwise just follow the original Nutshell route.

Bergen is alright for fjord sightseeing, however keep in mind that the iconic fjords are is some distance away ± 2 hours one way.

Hiking in Bergenhttps://en.visitbergen.com/things-to-do/hiking-on-bergens-7-mountains

Hiking is even more spectacular if you spend more time in Balestrand for example than just one night.

Mentioned in this post
Balestrand
Balestrand
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Norway travel in June

Thank you for your response and information on hikes in Bergen and bBalestrand. I have decided to stay longer in Balestrand. Do you have a hike to recommend there. We will not have a car so we need to access by public transportation and the max we would want to go is 4 hours.

I am also considering cycling either on the Rallarvegen or in Bergen. We have a group with varied abilities with me being the weakest as a 55 year old woman of average fitness. My husband and children (in their 20’s) are all more athletic. Do you have any advice regarding cycling?

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Balestrand
Balestrand
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Rallarvegen
Rallarvegen
53 Reviews
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Norway travel in June

In Balestrand, I suggest you ask at the tourist office for a hike that suit you all. Perhaps the Kreklingen nature trail. See this review with photos:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

From Balestrand you can also take the Fjærlandsfjorden cruise.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

I'm not sure about the conditions in late June for Rallarvegen, send a note to the Flåm Tourist Official and ask.

Mentioned in this post
Balestrand
Balestrand
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Rallarvegen
Rallarvegen
53 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Norway travel in June

May be this helps as well:

https:/…cycling

With an averaged fitness 55yr old woman i would not go for a cycling tour in mountain area. In that case I would split the groupfor a day or a half.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,888 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Norway travel in June

June its normally to early for do Rallarvegen cause to much snow, but all depends how much snow it was last winter and how cold / warm the spring are.

When I did in July one year we had to carry the bikes over 20 snow paths...

It’s recommended to do the cycling on Rallarvegen from July to September.

And it’s also recommended to start at Finse, and take a night at Vatnahalsen before you end with the last part down to Flåm...

All depends of course on how fit you’re and how much experience you’ve for rough track / rock cycling, since the downhill can feels little scary...

Edited: 13 May 2018, 17:26
Mentioned in this post
Rallarvegen
Rallarvegen
53 Reviews
Finse
Finse
28 Reviews
Ulvik Municipality, Norway
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
15,984 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western Norway travel in June

Rallarvegen would be no trouble for a 55 yr old of average fitness. The track follows the railway - it was the construction road - so there are no steep hills. Done over 2 days you have about 3 hrs slightly uphill from Haugastøl to Finse, then next day about 6 - 7 hrs generally downhill after you reach the highest point a bit after Finse. Very steep downhill after Myrdal in a section where many people walk! Do it!

Mentioned in this post
Rallarvegen
Rallarvegen
53 Reviews
Finse
Finse
28 Reviews
Ulvik Municipality, Norway
Myrdal
Myrdal
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,294 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western Norway travel in June

Cycling on the roads on «city» mountains in Bergen is fine. You can also use bicycle as transport out the city centre, but be prepared to get wet.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,294 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Western Norway travel in June

Rallarvegen can be a bit early even in late June, I would updated info a few days before.

Hallingskeid june 2017 still some patches of snow

www.vossnow.net/Database/visbilete.asp…

Mentioned in this post
Rallarvegen
Rallarvegen
53 Reviews
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Western Norway travel in June

Thank you for your helpful advice and encouragement. We will check the snow conditions closer to the time and decide then if we will try to cycle a portion of the road or cycle in Bergen.

We are now debating the best way to return to Oslo from Bergen. I know there is a night train but that does not appeal to me. We are considering the express boat to Balestrand and spending a night or two there before continuing on the train. How are the views on this express boat and are they different than the Norway in a nutshell trip? Our second option is to rent a car and see a different area on the way back. Any surggestions on where to go. We would be spending 1-2 nights on the route back.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 05:20
Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Balestrand
Balestrand
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Norway