We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip with children Norway Fjords

Bath, United Kingdom
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip with children Norway Fjords

Hi, my husband and I and two children (5 and 7) would like to visit Norway this summer and need some help! We have no real restrictions on time (guessing two weeks would be good) - we fly in and out of Oslo (could fly in and out of Bergen if it would work better but will be twice the cost) and would like to see the beautiful fjords and waterfalls and spend a few days in certain places in order to walk, kayak, raft, family climbing etc. We don't want to spend too long in the car at any one time so would like quite a few different places to stop for the night. Could anyone help with an itinerary? Thank you.

19 replies to this topic
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

Rachel, please do some research here in the forum before you ask people to do your itinerary work for 14 days. This is a forum, not a travel agency. There are a hundred itineraries in the forum already. I suggest that you build one and post that with questions.

Basics Fjord Norway: https:/…

Some nice routes: https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,068 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

Tips for start: Dont rush to places that are frequently mentioned, if you have a car you also have the freedom to avoid the crowds (by Norwegian standards) in a few well known places. All the (inner) fjord areas are fine and more or less similar. You dont need to "see all", and driving is not so interesting for kids.

Use VisitNorway (and regional variants) to find services like kayak, rafting or rock face climbing for families. Hiking you can do anywhere, some local cycling too. Fjords and rivers are generally cold so swimming is not attractive.

Perhaps rent a cabin for a 4 to 7 days in one Place and explore locally by shortish drives.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

I have done a lot of research on websites but am looking for more personal experiences/other people that may have done the trip - specifically - with children, best places to stay en route to break up the journey that offer kayaking etc i.e. Voss, if it is possible to do from Oslo or better to pay extra and fly to Bergen.

If you don't want to help with my itinerary, that's absolutely fine, but perhaps just let someone more helpful respond rather than sending an unpleasant reply. Thanks.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

Thank you Oslo Viking for your helpful response. We would like to rent somewhere for a few days and travel from there. Any suggestions on best locations for this?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

"unpleasant reply"? Every posting contains helping approaches, e.g. links and advice ... How about a "thank you" first before naming it "unpleasant"?

Welcome.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,698 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

It would be fine to fly into Oslo, but note that if you plan on Ryanair, they operate to/from two different airports. Not a big deal if you rent a car, but there may be drop-off charges for delivering at a different location.

Sognefjord & Hardangerfjord areas can be reached in a day of driving from Oslo.

An itinerary with children does not differ all that much from other itineraries, you know your children best and only you can decide how much "grown up holiday" they can tolerate.

You are travelling in high season and you are late in your planning, so accomodation options may well dictate where you stay.

https://en.hardangerfjord.com/

https://en.sognefjord.no/

We are looking forward to your trip report so that we can better assist families with similar questions. Hardly anyone contribute, just demands, demands. There are literally hundreds of similar questions on the forum, even in the most recent pages you will find tips and ideas.

There are also top questions with itineraries that you can tailor to your specific needs, tourist office sites have suggested itineraries etc. And the trip report library at the top of the main forum.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
556 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

Hi Rachel, You need to sit as a family and decide what you'd like to do. Budget will play an important part so does your driving stamina. If your husband and/or you can drive then it will give you much more flexibility and will be cheaper too vs traveling in public transportation like buses or trains. While renting a car, make sure you are doing it via reputable company, take pictures and getting all problems registered before taking the car out of rental location.

Norway is huge country in terms of north to south distance. Fortunately, all major attractions are in the South and are within 300-400 kms. Be mindful though, most of that is mountain drive meaning lower avg speed.

Some Key Attractions:

* There are so many waterfalls but famous ones like Langfossen, Voringfossen, Skytjefossen all are in western Norway

* Tourist locations like Geirangerfjord and Flam (western Norway)

* Loen Skylift (western Norway, north of Flam) is one of the steepest in the world and will provide different experience than rest of the trip.

* If you have stomach of mountain driving, try Trollstigen (between Geiranger in south to Andalsnes in north)

* Alesund and Andalsnes to Lillehammer has some picturesque driving.

* You can also try Atlantic Road if you are in Alesund or nearby.

* Hunderfossen Familiepark in Lillehammer (~ 200 kms north of Oslo) will be interesting to children

In that sense, everything is closer to Bergen except Lillehammer. You can also fly into Bergen and leave from Oslo but then car rental will be more expensive.

We'll ourselves be visiting in July and are in the same situation as we have 3 pre-teen boys. I don't know how long have you done your research but I've been looking for a year and have made 2-3 itinerary changes. For instance, we were originally driving from Oslo to Flam but then I decreased a day in Oslo (a loss as hotel booking is non-refundable) to see the waterfalls and comparatively speaking Oslo is not as attractive as the natural scenery. In hindsight, I might have started from Bergen but plane tickets from US are too expensive to cancel or change.

If I were you, I'd decide what I'd like to do, open a map of Norway, mark those attractions and then decide what you can go for and what you can drop as they are out of your budget.

Good Luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
556 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

A Useful Tip: Contact your local Norwegian Embassy or Consulate and they'll send you documentation that's quite helpful.

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,068 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

As mentioned, I would avoid major destinations like Flåm and Geiranger. In terms of scenery these Places are basically just like the rest of Western Norway, but the large number of visitors and cruise ships sadly make these fine places less attractive.

Whereever you go in Western Norway there is wild landscape, fjords and lakes, waterfalls etc. Because of the wide choices it is difficult to tell you exactly where to go, as Infojunky points out. If you arrive at Oslo airport and dont want to drive more than 3-5 hours/day, then Valdres (Fagernes area), Gudbrandsdal (along road E6), Hallingdal, Ottdal (road 15) are natural places to stop for 1 night or more, if you accept longer drives you can continue to for instance Stryn, Skjolden/Luster, Lærdal-Aurland, Eidfjord/Hardangerfjord. Then use VisitNorway or regional variants to locate interesting activities such as rafting

pa
Level Contributor
988 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip with children Norway Fjords

@rachelmark- we will be going to Norway in 17 days we actually only have 6 full days there. We are traveling with our 3 adult children, son-in-law and 1 yr old granddaughter. I tried to plan as short of driving times as possible since grandbaby doesn't like begin her car seat! We also are pretty much staying in cabins as price was much better for 7 of us and some have 2 bedrooms giving some privacy.

If you'd like to message me after June 2nd I'd be happy to answer any questions and give thoughts from a visitors perspective.

This trip was one of the most challenging trips I've planned! Too much to see and not enough time!

Reply to: Road trip with children Norway Fjords
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted