We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding on Apartment Rentals

PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding on Apartment Rentals

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide between a few apartments to rent for the entire summer (I will be interning at the UN). I am hoping to get some frank advice on the neighborhoods in which I might stay.

2nd District:Dampfschiffstrasse and Lowengasse

2nd District: Ferdinandstrasse and Fischergasse

2nd District:Rembrandtstrasse and Forstergasse

4th District:Near corner of Favoritenstrasse and Kolschitzygasse

I appreciate any help!

Sue

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding on Apartment Rentals

The first place actually is in the 3rd district, close to the Federal Ministry of Defense. All places are not that exciting in terms of location. I would go for either place 2 or place 4. Both are close to subway line U1 which stops at the UNO Center.

PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding on Apartment Rentals

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning toward the place in the 4th district. I am not concerned about being in an exciting place (plus the rents are much higher) - just someplace nice in a safe neighborhood. I can always take the ubahn to do sightseeing.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding on Apartment Rentals

Re the 4th district Favoritenstrasse - you do not list exact address but this is very close to the biggest construction project in Vienna - the replacement of the former Sudbahnhof - massive workings now going on -

The nearest UBahn station is by Sudtirolerplatz on the edge of this work- Neighborhood id probably OK but nothing great.

My opinion - ( each opinion subjective) the better Ferdinandstrasse -

This is just across the Danube canal from the First District and its shops, restaurants and shops.

This convenien to the U-1 at Schwedenplatz for the quick transfer to the UN.

easy access to entertainment , food markets .

You do not mention price and this may certasinly be a factor.

Also look caarefully for any extra costs , deposits required , broker fees etc.

PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding on Apartment Rentals

The difference in cost is EUR100 more for 2nd district apartment so not too much difference. I'm mainly looking at long-term holiday rentals because of the whole real estate broker fee cost as you warned.

This is the place in the 4th district. Google maps shows it's near the project but not right next to it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=on.1,or.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Appartement+springer+vienna&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Appartement+springer&hnear=Vienna,+Austria&cid=0,0,12210307686776948865&ei=JPNpTZvdFZKtgQejg53LCg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCgQnwIwAQ

Thoughts?

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding on Apartment Rentals

that´s not directly at the construction sight of the railways station allthough they also do some work at the crossing of Wiedner Grütel/Favouritenstrasse.

During day you will have the normal traffic of a medium sizes street including the bus 13a and it is more quite at the weekend.

Some appartments say : Window to the courtyard..that is good for you if you have a lighter sleep.

So with the U1 you can reach the U1 easily .

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deciding on Apartment Rentals

Not long ago , open construction by the Gurtel / Sudtirolerplatz - have not been by lately but the last time much work in progress.

As Hu San Niang points out , the proposed aprtment is several hundred meters from this address - but for sure added trasffic and most probably you use the Sudtirolerplatz U- 1 stop.

If price difference is just 100 euro - the 2nd district Ferdinandstrsse is a better location for transport, shopping and access to city center just across the Danube canal.

7. Re: Deciding on Apartment Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 00:16