We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
424 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

I will be in Vienna to celebrate the New Year and am leaving on January 1st. I have tickets for the philharmonic. Any recommendations on a place to celebrate New Years Eve? Are there restaurants that have music and/or dancing?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

You have many choices for this evening from the no cost street fest with many music venues - to restaurants hosting galsa evenings to major Balls.

probabby best to review the activities shown on the following and then return with questions.

wien.info/en/music-stage-shows/new-years-eve

Verona, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

I visited Vienna last year, for New Year. I celebrated New Year on public square, which can be interesting, but still, a lot of firecrackers spoil the impression of this wonderful city. Our tour guide said it can get quite windy in Vienna, but last year, the weather was lovely. If you don't mind noisy firecrackers (which can make the impression that whole Vienna is at war) public square can also be a wonderful place to be. You can drink wine, and dance to their Viennese Waltz. A lot of restaurants were open for public even on the New Year's eve, and we didn't have problems with public transport as well. In general, we had a wonderful time in Vienna! I wish you all the best!

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

Thanks for the information. It seems like the public square is the place to be. I was concerned about making a reservation for dining. Are there restaurants on the public square where you can walk in for dinner?

Verona, Italy
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

I'm really not sure for after midnight, because we didn't need a restaurant then, but during the day,even evening, we had lovely dinner in some Italian restaurant in the cellar of a building. I wish I remember more (I know that it was somewhere in the street decorated with big red balloons!) I know there were several restaurants open. In this particular restaurant, I remember we were the only guests! :) The food was great anyway.

Have a great weather, that is what I wish you! If the weather is good, I know you'll have wonderful time!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

Pleae note that if you search for " Public Square " to do your celebrating , no such square by that names exists. The info provided by the poster is not the best.

The city of Vienna has many public squares- examples to name just a few Freyung, AmHof, Josefplatz, Stephensplatz ,Michaelerplatz. Heldenplatz.Rathausplatz.

The above poster probably refers to Stephansplatz.

If you take the time to review the website provided above , you will find much info about New Years in Vienna.

Among this is some informationabout the New Years Path and city celebrations.

Many streets in the city center area are closed off just for this celebration. They offer for free many music venues from rock, jazz to classics and DJs.

Many stands to sell all types of drinks, food of all types , New years good luck souvenirs and much more. Many restuarants along this way and nearby are open to provide dining also.

Hundreds of thousands attend this event and enjoy it.

Fireworks are found everywhere.

Kiosks in the area provide good maps with the route, events , food and drink locations etc. so you have an easy way to find things.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,262 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

If the square is in fact the Stephansplatz I would give it a wide berth around midnight. The square and its immediate side streets get absolutely packed with people - almost to a dangerous extent. People in the crush put empty glasses and bottles down which get broken underfoot and, yes, firecrackers are thrown. The object of being in the square is to hear the cathedral's great Pummerin bell toll at midnight - impossible to do with all the fireworks going off.

One of the other squares Vertical mentions would be better. We often stand in front of the Burgtheater looking across at the Rathaus and I posted this video on YouTube of midnight fireworks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_BRDjQgD2Y

This other video gives you an idea of the great entertainment on the evening (and the scene in the Stephansplatz):

www.youtube.com/watch…

It's a great night with a wonderful atmosphere so enjoy!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
44 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

stephansplatz is the place to be a new year's eve in vienna. at least once in life ushould have done it.

agree that it is very noisey and there's a big crowd. but on the other hand there is also good security service around (special force police).

then u could walk from Stephansplatz to Kaerntner Strass & area around, there u will finda lot of people dancing to Viennese Waltz!

if u r not all about partying. then driving up Kahlenberg (small mountain) and watching the superb fireworks would be an option.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,262 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

GmaSandra - I'm in your age bracket and believe me you almost certainly would not like Stephansplatz at midnight - though it's OK earlier in the evening and I often get my underground train home from there much later than midnight (the underground runs all night).

9. Re: Vienna-New Year's Eve celebration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 14:18