We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

Hi,

I'm reaching Vienna by train on 28th September (Friday) around noon, and departing, again by train, on 30th September (Sunday) around 9 AM. I'm staying in the Wieden area, about 1.5 kms from Wien Hbf, and reasonably close to Nashmarkt and Karlskirche.

I've made a rough itinerary for my visit, and would appreciate your feedback. To avoid overplanning, I've kept the evenings free to explore any cultural events which may be happening at the time, and your recommendations are welcome.

28-09-2018 (Friday)

12:00 PM - Reach Wien Hbf

1:00 PM - Albertina (I think they have an ongoing Monet Exhibition which seems interesting)

3:00 PM - Airbnb check-in

4:00 PM - Visit a cafe

5:00 PM - Good Vienna Walking Tour (from Opera House)

8:00 PM - Wiener Wiesnfest - Prater Park (Very tentative and open to recommendations)

Not sure if my Airbnb will allow for an early check-in. If not, then given that I would have a suitcase and a small backpack, I would either have to use the lockers at the railway station or at the Albertina (their website indicates they have one).

29-09-2018 (Saturday)

7:00 AM - Breakfast at Nashmarkt (or it too early? Perhaps a different Cafe)

8:00 AM - Schoenbrunn Palace (Perhaps the Grand Tour EUR 17.5 w/ audioguide - should I pre-book?)

12:00 PM - St. Stephen's Cathedral

1:30 PM - Lunch (Perhaps Plachutta? I've heard the name mentioned on some guides)

3:00 PM - Karlskirche (St. Charles Church)

Hundertwaasenhaus

7:30 PM Wiener Staatsoper (Vienna National Opera) (standing ticket, if I can't find other options for the evening. I'm not well-versed with classical music, only a little bit of exposure. More about the experience, and I'm told the building itself is magnificent)

Hundertwaasenhaus buildings seem really fascinating, but other than that, the time between 3-7:30 PM is essentially to look at buildings I might have seen during the walking tour and want to go inside.

Given the short duration of my trip, I'm wary of spending too much time inside museums, which is why Belvedere isn't on this draft itinerary.

I wasn't planning on taking full day metro passes, just individual tickets for journeys which might be a bit too long to walk (Schoenbrunn might be one). Please let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your help.

15 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,647 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

Obviously, you did a lot of research, that's highly appreciated and great to see!, because it means that you are really interested in a place.

I personally would not plan a sightseeing day that accurately, partly even using one hour time slots, but better having one good plan than none.

The "Wiener Wiesn" might be fun but requires paying an admission if you go there in the evening, which is why you may want to rethink this activity.

Schönbrunn Palace is very popular and because of that admission tickets should be bought in advance. Alternatively, you can buy the combo ticket named "Sisi Ticket".

Plachutta is a little upscale, so decent clothing would be appreciated or required I guess.

Frankly, I would buy a 24 hrs. transport pass, because you will have to use public transport occasionally. Also be aware that single tickets bought on vehicles are more expensive (+ 0.20 EUR, if I am not wrong).

Edited: 10 September 2018, 16:23
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

Thank you! The 24 hr pass does make sense for the 29th, since it’s a ‘heavier’ day of sightseeing.

The events I have noted for the evenings are just placeholders. That’s actually what I’m hoping you and other experts could help with. It would be great to have an insight into Vienna’s culture, while avoiding the apparent tourist traps. Some questions that might help me make a decision - Is the Wiener Wiesn fest interesting? I’ve never been to the Oktoberfest in Germany. Should I buy entry tickets to the tents? I’m not a party person but if this is an interesting experience I might be game. Another option I was thinking of was the Magic Flute performance on 29th September in Volksoper. Seems to be recommended. Standing tickets for the Staatsoper or the ‘live opera on the square’ also sound interesting in theory, but I would defer to the experts. Or take my chances with whatever catches my fancy at the time :)

Thanks once again!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,647 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

If you travel on your own, then I would not buy tickets for the Wiesn. I know many locals - me including - who do not go there due to the fairly high (ridicolous) prices.

Maybe you should go there in the afternoon, when it is still free of charge.

https:/…wiener-wiesn

Edited: 11 September 2018, 06:29
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
4. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

Thank you, Michael. I think I've more or less decided to give the Wiener Wiesn a miss, unless it's during the free hours.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on my itinerary? Any alternative evening entertainment suggestions?

Thanks!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
5. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

It looks like the Airbnb I’m staying at won’t allow early check in, and luggage storage would also not be possible.

Given that I’m reaching Wien Hbf at 12:20pm and airbnb check in is at 3pm, I was thinking of going to the Albertina to check out the Monet exhibit. I will have a suitcase (medium sized - 20 kg) with me. My airbnb is in the Weiden area. I’m wondering if storing my luggage at the Hbf station is the most efficient option, given that I would have to backtrack all the way from the Albertina to the station, or if there’s a different possibility. The ALBERTINA site mentions a cloakroom, but I’m wondering it they will allow a suitcase to be stored. No maximum size limit specified, but it would be good to be sure.

What would your recommendation be? If there are other alternatives please let me know.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

Just one word of advise regarding standing room at Vienna's Staatsoper: the "good" tickets go away fast. So, if you are planning to go, just consider that you should buy your ticket one hour in advance to secure a so-so place. They sell tickets in 3 levels: Parterre, Balkon and Galerie. Parterre has a good view of the stage, but can get crowded and very uncomfortable, probably you won't get a screen to check subtitles, either. I recommend Balkon. Make sure you have a scarf or something to mark your place so you can just mark your place and visit around the opera. If you are not an opera lover, and you have limited time, you may also want to invest your 3 hours in other activity.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
7. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

Thank you, Monica, you’re inputs are much appreciated. Do let me know in case you have any recommendations for the evening.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,624 posts
641 reviews
8. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

"Just one word of advise regarding standing room at Vienna's Staatsoper: the "good" tickets go away fast"

OP mentioned they are going simply for the experience, so probably doesn't matter to them what tickets they get as long as they get some.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
9. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

Thank you all for your advice. I just returned from my trip, and thought I'd share a report in case it helps future travelers.

I reached Wien Hbf around noon on a Friday and went looking for the lockers at the station. Firstly, make sure you have change. I think the lockers cost EUR 2.5, 3.5, or 4.5 depending on size. Mine was EUR 3.5 for a mid-size suitcase. Since I didn't have change, I used the machine nearby to get a 48 hour travel pass. Secondly, the locker room was large, but there weren't a lot of mid-size lockers empty; the one I got was being emptied just as I reached. That's not to say you won't get a locker, just that you might not get one instantly around the weekend.

My first visit was to the Albertina, and it was great, especially the Monet exhibition. Enjoyed the State rooms as well. Next, I checked in to my Airbnb which was in the Wieden area - 350m from the Taubstummengasse station and a km from the Staatsoper (inner city). Naschmarkt was about 600m. I liked the area, felt like there were more locals and less tourists. Also, found a great bar very nearby called Wieden Brau which brewed their own beer and was good for some local food. In the evening I joined the Good Vienna walking tour, which was a great way to see a lot of the sights and get a feel for the city. Lasted 2 hours. Dinner was at Cafe Central, which was great with live piano and good food and wine. Had to wait a few minutes, but to be expected I suppose given the location and popularity.

Next morning I had breakfast at Naschmarkt. It was very lively on a Saturday morning, and those who like shopping might've enjoyed the flea market. My first stop was the Schonbrunn Palace. I decided not to go in, and enjoyed walking around the gardens for two hours. The view from the Gloriette was great. Next stop was the St. Stephen's Cathedral, besides the interiors, I also went up the bell tower. I went to Cafe Sacher for coffee and the famous Sacher torte. It was okay - wouldn't go back. Next I went to Karlkirche, which was beautiful. I wanted to buy some Viennesse coffee, so I went by Alt Wien Kaffee near Naschmarkt (and close to where I stayed) and picked up a couple of roasts, just in the nick of time too, as they close dat 4 PM on Saturdays. They didn't serve coffee, so I made my way to Kaffemik for some brewed coffee and picked up some more beans as well. I then headed to Hundertwaasenhaus and then Belvedere palace (only gardens, not indoors). I spend the evening watching the live opera telecast (Don Pascale) at the Staatsoper. It was amazing, and nearly all the seats were full. I definitely want to get a (seating) ticket for a show next time. I definitely wouldn't have been able to stand for the entire duration of the show. A long day walking around the magnificent city, I stopped for a drink and headed home.

Next morning I went for a run to Stadtpark before heading to Hbf where I had breakfast before catching the train to Praha.

Please let me know in case you have specific questions.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
10. Re: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations

Forgot to mention - the Albertina has a free cloak room service, but most of the lockers are small. You'd be hard pressed to store a mid-sized suitcase there. I thought it was a better idea to keep it at the station (Hbf).

Reply to: 2 days in Vienna - Itinerary and Recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted