We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning

New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning

My guidebook said Vienna had "comfortable, civilized" taxis, so I had my guard down coming out of Wien Hauptbahnhof. My personal experience did not fit this bill so I post this anecdote in the hope of warning future travelers!:

I took a taxi from the taxi stand at Wien Hauptbahnhof on May 2nd, 2018 around 14:30. The destination was Appartement-Hotel an der Riemergasse, a roughly 4 km trip on the shortest route.

Even though this was an official taxi stand with many taxis waiting in line, drivers seemed to be soliciting customers which seemed off to me. While I initially hesitated, I took the first taxi waiting as I had heavy luggage for 2 people.

Once in the taxi, I didn't see a meter and asked where it was, but the driver either didn't understand or intentionally deflected the question. At the end of the trip, something that looks like a meter emerged from behind the sun visor and the driver typed in 20.40 euros. Feeling probably scammed but tired from frayed nerves during the journey, I paid without argument but did demand a receipt and received it. No tip obviously.

When I showed my hotel receptionist the receipt, she raised her eyebrows but said different taxis seem to have different pricing that run the gamut (I paraphrase).

Since I have the receipt, I searched the web for how to file a complaint but couldn't find a place to do so online. I would like to do so if there is a way.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Appartement-Hotel an der Riemergasse
Appartement-Hotel an der...
239 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
7 replies to this topic
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,680 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning

It certainly seems on the high side. Was there any waiting time anywhere in traffic? How long do you think the journey took?

Vienna
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning

Next time go into hotel and contact staff and refuse to pay and photograph number plates. It is rare but if a driver does not switch on meter demand it or take another one.

New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning

Hi Norman C, in my memory the ride lasted about 20 minutes, though I'm not sure.

Hi Salzburger67, yes, lesson learned. I'm hoping that by contributing to up-to-date taxi anecdotes and making some noise, I can help prompt 1) more tourists to come prepared and, I think more importantly, 2) the relevant authorities to take action.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,680 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning

That is double what I’d expect such a journey to take. So either the driver took a longer route or was stuck in traffic. I would expect this journey to cost 10-15 Euros so you seem to have been overcharged a bit.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning

Actually, taxios in Vienna are relatively expensive. Given the duration of the trip, the bill doesn't seem to be extremely high. As Norman says, the question is what was the reason for the delay...

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning

I would pay only the price displayed on a meter .

This is compulsory in Vienna for every taxi .

Not uber as they are not taxis .

You pay for the waiting so 3.8 + the 4 km - so around 10-11 euros.

Higher price only if you wait due to heavy traffic.

You can complain at the Innung / guild for Taxi drivers in Vienna

email: Taxi.Mietwagen@wkw.at

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,082 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning

20€ definitely is on the upper end of possible taxi fares, and only possible if traffic was really bad, or in case the driver took a longer route (a known scam worldwide).

If you said you had paid 15€, I would not raise an eyebrow.

Edited: 19 May 2018, 02:34
Reply to: Vienna Hauptbahnhof taxi stand - anecdotal report & warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted