We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

3 posts
Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

Hi all,

I am writing on this forum to ask for a huge favor! I bought an obb overnight train ticket from Krakow to Vienna not realizing that I have to collect the ticket only from Austria (not anywhere else). This is the first time I'm using Obb service not knowing that this is their policy for an international travel.

I was wondering if any of you that live in Austria (maybe close to a train station) would be sooo kind enough to print and email the ticket for me?? I will provide the code and of course the info to you!

Thank you so much all

10 replies to this topic
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

if you download the obb app you will be able to save the ticket on the app..if you have an ios device..I think you can save it to your wallet..not that you necessarily need to..by saving it on the app you won't have to print it out

Edited: 13 May 2018, 15:46
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,957 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

I do not think that you can print a ticket in Austria, which comes out in a certain layout and appearance, scan it, e-mail it, re-print it and then you have a valid ticket.

3 posts
3. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

I wish it was that easy!! I have obb app and it keeps saying I have to pick it up in Austria. It doesn’t make sense to me if you come from another country TO Vienna, but apparently that’s how it is.

3 posts
4. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

I see. I just assume the train attendant would just scan a barcode on the ticket and by printing it, the barcode would come out the same. At least it will have an apperance of a ticket, rather than just a proof of purchase email. Does this happened before to anyone?? I wonder what the best solution is

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,957 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

The problem is that railway operators aren't as interconnected as for instance airlines. Because of that it is sometimes necessary to still issue a paper ticket.

Because if Polish Rail simply accepted a barcode, well then why should you be forced to pick up your ticket anywhere in Austria.

Normally, you will be warned on the website of ÖBB if you have to pick up your ticket in Austria, hence no self-printed or electronic ticket available.

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
6. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

There is a pop up window on the ÖBB site that tells you that you have to pick the tickets up in Austria.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

OBB has arrangements in place with Czech, German, Italian railways - their conductors can all scan bacodes from Austrian OBB tickets.

Polish PKP conductors cannot verify OBB e-tickets, therefore all tickets to or from Poland MUST be issued as conventional tickets, printed on official internationally agreed security-background ticket stock, so they can be accepted on sight, like a banknote.

That is why tickets must be printed by a self-service machine, and of course OBB staff and machines only exist at OBB stations, in Austria.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

if you have it downloaded on the app the conductor can scan the barcode

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,957 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

@Steve C

Did you read what has been written above?

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna

overlooked polish..apologies

Reply to: Printing Obb ticket from Krakow to Vienna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted