We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year’s Eve

divaland
Level Contributor
189 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
New Year’s Eve

Hi,

Flights and hotel booked. 2 adults.

My question is about NYE - we would like to see the fireworks but not be in a huge crowd.

We have come across a Blue Danube 4 hour trip but it gets poor reviews in general.

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

M

8 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year’s Eve

There will be many activities with limited crowds - too early for this year - see ladt year as an example:

viennawurstelstand.com/collection/…

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,814 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year’s Eve

I would spend the evening in Vienna's city center, roam around, have some drinks and something to eat. There will be stages, some playing live music, on others a DJ will perform.

Most times it is not crowded, only the square in front of St. Stephan's Cathedral will be packed before midnight why I would not go there.

In order to see the fireworks in a better way, you may want to go to Danube Canal or even to the Danube River (subway U1 to Donauinsel).

Information on what to do and see during this day & evening will be available on the website of the Vienna Tourism Bureau later this year.

www.wien.info

Edited: 13 May 2018, 16:15
Mentioned in this post
Donauinsel
Donauinsel
166 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year’s Eve

Got to a rooftop bar or make a friend with a rooftop terrace.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,974 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year’s Eve

I need that friend Cherries. Is it you? ;-)

divaland
Level Contributor
189 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year’s Eve

Many thanks for the replies.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year’s Eve

Not me, Norman, but I have my connections.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year’s Eve

There are no “signature fireworks” – it’s the people that sparkle here in Vienna! Ca. 700.000 will be out on the NYs Trail” from 3 pm till after midnight.

No boat tour – at no time of the year is worth taking in Vienna (you do that in Prague or Budapest).

Here, take a nice late afternoon walk – make reservations for a nice dinner at 8 or 8:30 and then “waltz into the New Year” at Graben.

Stay away from Cathedral Square/Stephansplatz – it will be crowded – but be close enough to hear the mega bell “Pummering”. Hearing her live will make sure 2019 will be a good one for you!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Graben Hotel
Graben Hotel
757 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Stephansplatz
Stephansplatz
5,156 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,634 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year’s Eve

Although this was from the end of 2016 going into 2017, Vienna's NYE is considered one of the best in the world

http://www.fodors.com/news/photos/20-best-places-to-celebrate-new-years#!15-vienna-new-years

"Vienna

This atmospheric city is famous for its New Year’s Eve Grand Ball, hosted at Hofburg Palace, but there’s more on offer than just throwback elegance. Vienna’s famous Christmas markets transform into New Year’s fairs, and hundreds of thousands of revelers crowd the Silvesterpfad (New Year’s Path) in the city center on New Year’s Eve. Fueled by mulled wine, the party starts at 2 pm and goes until well after midnight, with fireworks appearing over the Wiener Prater fair. On New Year’s Day, a huge crowd gathers outside the Rathaus (City Hall) to watch the Vienna Philharmonic’s New Year’s concert on a giant screen"

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Cafe Hofburg
Cafe Hofburg
561 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Wiener
Wiener
283 Reviews
Vienna, Austria