We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to Lucerne

Easley, South...
3 posts
Save Topic
Salzburg to Lucerne

Has anyone ever taken bus service from Salzburg to either Zurich or Lucerne

Easley, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

Has anyone ever rental cars in salzburg and returned them in another city

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

No. Nobody has ever taken such a bus service because it doesn't exist.

Renting a car in one country and dropping it in another means massive additional fees (often several hundert €).

See www.oebb.at

Easley, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

try europetrainsguide.com.

they will find you a train no worries.

join the forum and ask them your question.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

I would like to take the train from Salbzurg to Lucerne via Zurich and did a search using the Austrian rail website.

However, the number of seats available are very limited. Is this really the case?

imageshack.us/photo/…

I tried booking via the Swiss rail website for June departure and they said that booking is not available yet (too early i guess).

Anyone knows where/when can i start booking rail tickets?

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

>> However, the number of seats available are very limited. Is this really the case? <<

The imageshack screen grab that you posted displays the number of unsold discounted advance purchase 'SparSchiene' tickets. Full fare ÖBB tickets would be available.

An alternative for your journey would be a discounted advance purchase 'Europa-Spezial Schweiz' ticket from the DB website but travel would be via Munich and the scenery not nearly a nice as the ÖBB route via Innsbruck and the Alberg Pass.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,499 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

@flying_Geo You can start booking tickets 90 days before your travel date on that sector.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

>However, the number of seats available are very limited. Is this really the case?

No, the number of CHEAP seats is limited. Tickets for standard price are ALWAYS available, in unlimited amounts.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

Thank you all. We have a party of 4 and looks like we will not be able to get all 4 cheap seats at 39Euro..probably have to purchase some 1st class seats at 59 euro

Can I purchase them now or do I have to wait 90 days before departure before purchasing them only?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,499 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salzburg to Lucerne

Not quite sure what you meant. The booking has to be within 90 days of your first travel date, for example, using today's date, I can only book as far as about the 18th May. However, if upon checking you can actually book beyond that, it is to your advantage to get the cheapest tickets now. Once the initial batch is gone, it would go up by about € 10, and so on.

I quickly checked on the site, it appears I could book for 24th May for 4 persons (1st class) at € 79 each.