We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
8 reviews
Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

Not sure where to post this question, so I thought I start here. We will be in Berchtesgaden for 4 nights in May 2019. We want to do some day trips from there. I'd love to see both Hallstatt and St. Gilgen. Trying to figure out if this could be done in one day. According to google maps the complete drive is about 3.5 hours. So I'm wondering if about 3 hours in each location would be ok. We aren't opposed to getting an early start, but we like to be back to our room before dark. Just don't like driving in unfamiliar places once the sun sets.

Thanks so much in advance for any help with this

L

8 replies to this topic
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

It's perfectly feasible. You could make a circular tour going via the B166 ---Gollong/Abtenau/Gosau----very scenic ----and return via B158 via Bad Goisern to St Gilgen. This route will mean that your last part of the drive is on the autobahn by passing Salzburg so if it is later in the day you will have no problem. The days are longer in May in any case.

Remember you need to buy a vignette for Austria in Berchtesgarden before you set off as both routes have short stretches of autobahn.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

Thanks so much roefamilyUK! Exactly what I was looking for. I put this route in Google Maps and I'm pretty sure I got the same directions that you gave me. I've read that Halstatt can be seen in a few hours, but wasn't sure about St. Gilgen. We'll leave shortly after breakfast, and hope to be back to the hotel by 7 or so. I know about the vignette. Are you saying I can purchase it in Berchtesgaden? Although I may need it before. We will be coming from Ga-Pa and I don't like the drive that Google is giving me to Berchtesgaden. Back up north through Munich and then south again. I understand that this is the most straight forward, but we may go south and stop in Innsbruck for a few hours. Will we need the vignette for this? I'm also wondering if 3days/4 nights is enough in B'gaden.

Thanks again

L

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

You must have a vignette on your windscreen , correctly positioned, before you go on a motorway so , yes, just purchase at any petrol station before you enter Austria to be on the safe side.

I full day for the Eagles Nest and the Königsee add another if you want to do some hiking. Then you could have a day in Salzburg and your trip to Hallstatt etc

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,005 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

you will be able to get your vignette in any filling station on the german side of the border.

a lot will depend on what you want to see and do in hallstatt. the village itself is small and you can do in less than 2 hrs. but that would not allow you to visit the salt mine, or the 5 fingers / ice caves. to see all those, you would need a day.

st gilgen itself is also quite small, and again there are things to do there that take time, such as the gondola lift (at least an hour), a trip on the ferry (a couple of hours)

if you havent booked yet, you might consider actually staying on the wolfgangsee and then visiting berchtesgaden on a day trip from there?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

Thanks to all that responded. I'm thinking that maybe we should do these in two separate days/trips. We have booked in B'gaden already, and I don't want to change that. But...…….we have 2 days prior to B'gaden that aren't booked yet. We will be in Fussen two nights, than 2 nights that I was going to book in Garmish Partenkirchen and then the 4 nights in B'gaden. Now I'm thinking that I should add those two days to somewhere closer to B'gaden. That way we could see this area in more depth and less rushed. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much

L

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

Garmisch is a good pat way stop and Berchtesgarden isn't a bad base for touring the area. You could just stay two days over in the Salzkammergut if you want to see more and at a more leisurely place. St Gilgen makes a good base. You would then be able to spend a whole day visiting the villages around the lake by ferry and find time to visit Bad Ischl as well as Hallstatt

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

Thanks again. I'm thinking about adding one night to B'gaden and staying one night in Garmish. Unless there is a recommendation for another location between Fussen and B'gaden. I'll look into St. Gilgen also.

Thanks so much

L

Edited: 21 September 2018, 22:53
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Hallstatt and St. Gilgen

We stayed in golling an der salzach and used that as a base to tour Salzburg (by train) and Hallstatt (and we did the full circle to St. Gilgen as you suggest.) It's a very fun day! Hallstat is not to be missed. We decided to pass on Berchtesgaden as we had toured Nazi sites in Nurenburg and instead went to Kitzhbuhel for the day. Then we stayed in Oberammergau for 3 night to visit Fussen and Ettal. We just got back Sunday! Beautiful weather and scenery.

Reply to: Hallstatt and St. Gilgen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upper Austria