We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

danube river cruises

San Diego CA
1 post
Save Topic
danube river cruises

We are thinking of taking a danube river cruise, but a friend of mine took a cruise and found the river was so low in places that they had to be bused. This was 4 or 5 years ago. Does anyone know if that is still true? I'm not crazy about the idea of having to be bused when I paid for a cruise.

Pat

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
19,053 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: danube river cruises

Nature isn't predictable, so you will have to take the risk. I have never heard that this is a common occurrence. I am not a scientist, but I think this might happen during winter before the snow starts melting and sometimes when it doesn't rain for a long time. As the danube is an important corridor the navigability should be available most times of the year.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: danube river cruises

perhaps 4-6 years ago during a late drought a few cruises were diverted to having benn bussed some places. No one mentions the thousands before or since that move without problems.

That is not a usual thing.

If you travel especially from Passau to Budapest on a cruise much of the river level is regulated by a series of dams - you will see them as the cruise boat passes the locks there.

The newer boats are well designed to use the river and its level of water.

Some recent places have also been dredged to keep a satisfactory water depth also.

The Danube is a major waterway to transport bulk cargo via barges during the entire year and is a vital thing to the economy of the area-

unless a major weather situation occurs I do not believe that you have a problem.

Hauppauge, New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: danube river cruises

Pat,

A friend of mine went on a Danube River Cruise last summer (July or August). She took a Grand Circle Ship. They had to be bused for 2 days - hotels were fine, but they were annoyed that they had to pack and unpack a number of times. She feels this is a normal occurence at that time of year, because they had 2 boats going in different directions, and when they were able to go back on the boat, it was the one that was going in the opposite direction. She said they appeared to be very used to this and the whole inconvenience was well orchestrated.

We are going this year on Amadeus Waterways (ms. amacello) in early September and are hoping this does not happen to us.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: danube river cruises

I should mention that the Danube is thousands of kilometers long- prior poster fails to mention the area where a friend may have had a problem. To my knowledge - no troubles last year in the areas I refer to in my posting above. If any it was probably at the lower end of the Danube nearer to the Black Sea - Romania - Bulgaria -area where the river has received little care and maintenance in the past.

One should consider these things when booking a cruise

The upper Danube much more scenic and many on -land opportunities.

Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: danube river cruises

We did the Passeau to Budapest and back river cruise with Viking a couple of years ago in Sept. and the only problem they were encountering was high water as it had rained alot. I can't rememember where we were heading but they really hussled through the night as the water was very high and they were afraid of not being able to make it under a couple of the bridges. I don't think you would have to worry about low levels in that area of the Danube. I have never heard of Viking transporting by land but it does say in the fine print that due to weather, they can transport you by other transportation. We loved this cruise by the way and loved Viking and would highly recommend them as a river cruise company to go with!

Hauppauge, New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: danube river cruises

Vertical, Thanks for the information. I think my friend was on her trip on the lower part of the Danube (Bulgaria, etc).

Micor1, Thanks for the info on Viking, but we are going Amadeus.

Has anyone gone on an Amadeus Waterways Cruise up or down the Danube? Would like to get feedback on the Cruise Line.

7. Re: danube river cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Lower Austria