We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Topic
Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

Two of us are planning to go to Austria from Italy. We will leave Venice for Salzburg, then go to Vienna. From Vienna, we plan to take the night train to Florence and continue the journey in Italy.

When I did the research about trains in Europe, a website (railsaver.com) suggested us to take train from Venice to Tarvasio by using a point-to-point ticket, then I could use an Austrian 3 Day 2nd Class Adult FlexiPass to cover the segment from Tarvasio to Salzburg.

What does it really mean? Do we need to get off the train at Tarvasio and change to another one? When we look at the route map on OBB, the journey from Venice to Salzburg doesn't go through Tarvasio, how can we actually do that.

When we take the night train, the train doesn't go through Tarvasio either. Plus, I don't think we would want to get off the train in the middle of the journey while on a night train.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

For get the pass! Book P2P tickets here:

Venice>Salzburg: www.oebb.at (starting at 29€)

Salzburg>Vienna: www.oebb.at (19€) or www.westbahn.at (24€*)

Vienna>Florence: www.oebb.at

*...price aboard the train, so full flexibility, while the 19€ fare of ÖBB has to be booked in advance and comes with restrictions

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

I'd just like to add that the cheap fares become available ~90 days in advance. The journey from Venice to Salzburg, if going in the day-time, is split into two sectors. First you take the ÖBB bus to the Austrian town of Villach where you need to transfer to the train going to Salzburg. Night trains go direct but get to Salzburg at an uncomfortable time.

Between Salzburg and Vienna I always recommend the private railway operator WESTBAHN because their fares are fairly cheap and tickets can easily be bought on the train without surcharge. The lowest fare of ÖBB is 19€, hence cheaper than the one of Westbahn, but comes with restrictions (no cancelation, no alteration, no flexibility after you have done the booking).

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,057 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

Anybody that recommends a pass in Europe should be ignored as it is quite an expensive way of getting around, especially if you have a fixed itinerary.

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

Thanks a lot for your answers. I was trying to book a Sleeper compartment - 2 persons on the train from Vienna to Florence, it asked me to specify Man or Lady. Since I'm travelling with my husband, I don't know if I should choose Man or Lady. Could you pls help? Thanks.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,057 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

Are you booking at www.oebb.at ? It won't be a problem. If they ask just put 2 x female and they won't ask any questions on the train - the majority of passengers are probably couples.

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

Thanks a lot for your help. I've booked the tickets.

I'm planning to go to Salzburg from Innsbruck for 2 days, then from Salzburg to Vienna. Do I have to buy 2 sets of tickets?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

No, you can buy a ticket for the entire distance and simply interrupt in Salzburg because regular, train station-issued (!!!) tickets are valid for 6 days. You can also buy two "savers", or book one saver to Salzburg and take Westbahn from Salzburg but you MAY NOT book a saver covering Innsbruck to Vienna and interrupt in Salzburg!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

When it comes to buying the train tickets, is it better to buy them ahead of time or just buy the tickets at the train station? Also, are there separate websites for the Westbahn and oebb trains?

Thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,057 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

Westbahn can be bought on the train at the same price as in line so no real need to book that in advance www.westbahn.at

Tickets for the oebb trains can also be bought on the day, but it is a lot cheaper to buy in advance www.oebb.at

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need guidance on the Austria One Country Pass

Of course they have different websites beause they are different companies! They compete on the Vienna-Linz-Salzburg line. What is better in terms of ticketing depends on what you want. If you are willing to firmly select a train in exchange for a lower price, then I'd book in advance. If you want full flexibility, then buy just before departure.