We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions

Bellevue
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions

Hi,

I’m planning a short trip in June, arriving in Nice on Monday afternoon, leaving from Nice on Friday mid afternoon.

So far I’ve booked Wednesday and Thursday night in Monaco at the Port Palace Hôtel.

Would love some suggestions on where to spend the other two nights?

Budget may get blown in Monte Carlo so some lower priced options would be helpful.

We’re a couple, no children and we enjoy good food and drink. We also enjoy walking around scenic places - we’re not hikers though.

Not too sure how good the weather will be but we really would just like to see some of the coast, had thought St Tropez, Cannes, Antibes but any suggestions for something off the beaten track would be great.

Planning to hire a car so we should be able to explore the area fairly easily.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Port Palace Hotel
Port Palace Hotel
698 Reviews
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Cannes
Cannes
Antibes
Antibes
10 replies to this topic
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions

You’re posting in the Monaco forum, asking about where to stay other than Monaco...

There is no “off the beaten track” on the Cote d’Azur, it’s been a holiday destination since the 19th century. You might consider Bormes les Mimosas, very pretty, lots of walks; Agay in a lovely bay with the Esterel mountains as a backdrop; Frejus for roman ruins, a bit more going on. All are on the coast between Cannes and St Tropez. Antibes is lovely as is Villefranche, both are very near Monaco if you want to keep your travelling more compact and explore in more depth.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Frejus
Frejus
Cannes
Cannes
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Antibes
Antibes
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Moth, as always, is spot on.

Not sure why you are renting a car.

Public transport in this region is inexpensive and efficient.

Antibes would be a great second base.

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
Bellevue
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Thanks Moth, I appreciate the response. Apologies if I offended you by posting in the wrong forum I guess I got a bit carried away as the advice you guys give in here is so thorough and helpful. Also as I didn’t know where to try I didn’t really know which forum to go to. I’ll take a look at your suggestions. Thanks again

Bellevue
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Thanks datthecoast. I’ll take a look at the public transport options.

The idea was to be able to get around without restriction or worrying about timetables but if you say it’s that good I’ll take a look.

Thanks again

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Public transport brilliant along the coast as far as Cannes. After that there are still trains but less frequent so a car would be useful if you decide to stay in one of the first places I mentioned.

Not in the least offended by your post and I appreciate it wouldn’t be easy to pick a forum for your original question but you might try the Alpes Maritimes or Var forums for a variety of views.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Alpes Maritimes
Alpes Maritimes
Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Var
Var
Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Bellevue
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions

That’s fantastic Moth, thanks I will.

I mentioned that I’ll be staying at the Port Palace for two of the days so would appreciate your views on where to go/eat etc.

I’ve read the previous forum posts so have got a pretty good feel from those and your advice as I said is always very comprehensive and helpful.

I’ll keep trawling the reviews and forums and when I have a more specific question I’ll post it.

Again, thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Port Palace Hotel
Port Palace Hotel
698 Reviews
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions

On the roof of the Port Palace you have a very good seafood restaurant, La Maree, with an excellent value set menu at lunchtime (though a la carte is still an option) and a la carte only in the evenings, which is a pattern followed by many restaurants. In June you will be wanting to eat outside and there are some great options down on the beach (Blue Note one of the best, Miami next door also very good). Le Mystique on the Rue Princesse Caroline is great for an informal lunch and there are several others along that street. Down on the port there are some large and lively places including the Brasserie which is kept busy by the younger crowd.

Really there's something for everyone and if you have any specific style or budget in mind, post again.

As for what to see, you have time to see everything if you want to. The Oceanographic Museum has been brilliant in recent years with a complete revamp of the upper floors and some great collaborations with artists, not sure if any are planned for this summer. The Prince's Palace takes about 45 minutes to visit with the audioguide. In June the gardens should be at their best if that's your thing - the main ones are on the Rocher (nice to walk through from the Palace to the Oceanographic Museum), the Jardin Exotique with amazing views over the Principality, and the Japanese garden down towards the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Port Palace Hotel
Port Palace Hotel
698 Reviews
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
La Maree
La Maree
481 Reviews
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Prince's Palace
Prince's Palace
1,571 Reviews
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Bellevue
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Awesome, thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it

UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary suggestions

I suggest stay in Nice for the other days,which is just about half an hour scenic bus journey away from Monaco. It is beautiful place with good some good choices for food.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Bellevue
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Thanks IPSR appreciate that. Would you have any hotel recommendations? They all look quite lovely but as I’ve spent quite a bit on the Port Palace ideally something that comes in around €150 for two people per night?

Mentioned in this post
Port Palace Hotel
Port Palace Hotel
698 Reviews
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reply to: Itinerary suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted