We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange

3 posts
Save Topic
Money exchange

Hi

I am travelling to monte Carlo Monday for a 40th birthday break.

I have an amount of dollars that I will need to change into euros.

Please can you advise the best place to do this for the best value?

Thanks in advance

9 replies to this topic
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money exchange

Seriously? Most people these days just put their card into a machine for cash. Or travel with the currency they need, using exchange facilities at their departure point.

At Nice airport there is a facility to change money by the baggage carousels before you exit through customs, which consists of a bank branch and a machine that makes change after the staff have gone home. Same facilities available on the other side. This is better value than using your hotel cashier and probably more convenient than waiting for bank opening hours once you get to Monaco.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money exchange

Carrying unusable cash (USD in Europe) is virtually unheard of and completely unecessary in today's times.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money exchange

Thanks for the replies.

I am fully aware that it's not practical to be carrying USD around, it was unused from a trip to New York and changing it over in England means I'll be losing quite a bit of it. Several cashiers here advised I will get a better rate by changing it direct once there, which is why I ask.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money exchange

Unless you are asking them to change first into sterling and then euros, there is no way it would cost less to exchange over here than in the UK. But the previous advice still holds. Use a machine or a bank at Nice airport.

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money exchange

That's the problem I think, the bureaus i spoke to wouldn't exchange from USD to Euros, they said I would have to convert into English first... I don't really know the reason why.

Thank you for your help, I'll have a look at the airport when we arrive.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money exchange

I would just exchange at Nice airport on arrival, don't worry about the rate. I always take any left over currency to another destination. I changed some spare Yen at Nice airport when I was last in Monte Carlo and did the same in Norway last year with some Danish Krona. Think of it as free money :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money exchange

Poster #6....I struggle to comprehend what you are trying to say......

"don't worry about the rate"

Seriously?

Of course, if someone has considerable amounts of currency to exchange, then they should take the rate very seriously.

"Think of it as free money"

How in the world is it "free money?"

The Original Poster had to pay to acquire the currency in the first place.

That makes it far from free.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money exchange

The poster doesn't comment on the amount of USD

So I don't think it's safe to assume it's a "considerable amount". Indeed the poster suggests later on its left over USD from a trip to NYC. Having been in that situation myself and facing the prospect of getting a terrible rate here in England to change it back to GBP, to then change it to Euro and lose out twice. That is why I suggest not to worry about the rate because whatever it is, it will be better to go straight to Euro from USD in France/Monaco than it ever would to take the former route. Hence don't worry about the rate, because you can't do any better at home.

As for "Think of it as free money" that's how I perceive it in my own case. If I've changed GBP into another currency then not used it, when I get home it's useless unless I plan to go back to that country or change it back to GBP. I see little point in changing small or moderate sums back to GBP and lose out twice. To have the opportunity to use that effectively useless currency another way on another trip means I am not changing more of my hard earned cash for the new place because I am re-using something I had planned to spend differently.

Some people judge how good a trip is by how much they managed to save from their budget during the trip and there are others who judge how good a trip is by how little they come home with of their allotted budget because they spent it all having a great time. I fall into the latter, but each to their own.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money exchange

I favor the traditional meaning of "free."

"without cost or payment."

It cost you to acquire the currency.

It's not free.

Pretty sure that the OP doesn't consider it "free" either.

Edited: 01 March 2017, 11:30
Reply to: Money exchange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted