We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Old Town

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
91 reviews
The Old Town

On our previous two visits to Paphos the old town is an area we haven't really checked out, other than getting the bus to Karavella station and wandering around the immediate area for 20 minutes whilst waiting for a connection (and there wasn't much to see round there!).

I understand the area has had a bit of a revamp, is it worth checking out for an hour or two on our July visit? Whats there and most importantly, where exactly is classed as the old town and how is it best got to?! Cheers.

9 replies to this topic
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: The Old Town

Definitely worth a look.

Get off the bus at the market, cross the road into the market and head for Makarios Ave - which is lined with independent shops and now pedestrianised. At the other end of Makarios Ave from the market, you’ll come to Kennedy Square.

The old town sprawls, and it’s difficult to cover on foot, but I would suggest just wandering and exploring. If you get lost, just head downhill and you’ll end up back down in Kato Paphos - it’s not far and all downhill.

Paphos Life website has an excellent recent blog about the old town.......

https:/…old_paphos_2018

Trisha

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: The Old Town

Great info, thanks for that. It sounds (and looks!) good, we'll check it out.

Any recommendations for a spot of lunch? Any not to be missed gems there?

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
100 reviews
3. Re: The Old Town

Muse is a nice spot for lunch - lovely setting with great views of the coast. Modern Mediterranean menu. It’s about a 15 minute walk from the market and you’ll pass by the Town Hall and Byzantine Museum. Or Laona, just off Makarios Ave near the market. Very traditional with exceptional hospitality.

Trisha

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: The Old Town

Duly noted, thank you greatly!

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: The Old Town

Do come back and tell us all about it!

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: The Old Town

We went for a stroll round the old town whilst we were there and enjoyed it. It was interesting to see all the work the has gone on renewing the area, we found that we had wandered to Karavella bus station at one point and didn't recognise it or the surrounding at first. We were only there two years ago!

I think there is a nice mix of the new and the old and the street art is a good addition. It strikes me that the regeneration is still ongoing and as yet it isn't pulling huge visitor numbers yet but there was a good few people around on our visit and could well become a valued addition to the area. We covered most of the areas suggested, the market, Kennedy Square, living wall, town hall etc, and had a quick lunch on the 'front' looking out towards the sea (i forget the name of the cafe but the beer was cheap!).

I'd certainly recommend paying a visit for a few hours. It's very easy to get to on the bus and offers a good alternative to the rest of Paphos.

Edited: 11 August 2018, 01:02
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
100 reviews
7. Re: The Old Town

Great to hear back from you, and pleased you got up there and enjoyed your look around.

It’s a shame more visitors don’t make it to the old town, especially now it’s been given a face lift. Hopefully your post will stir a bit of interest.

Thanks for the feedback!

Trisha

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: The Old Town

No problem and thanks for your help on this. Much appreciated.

I’d like to think more people would give the old town a go. It’s a nice contrast from the rest of the area.

Edited: 11 August 2018, 07:41
London
Level Contributor
187 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: The Old Town

We decided to visit the old town during our recent visit, it was closed!

Took the bus from the harbour early one evening and found everything closed, the market, the shops, nearly everything.

I'm not certain if this is the right time of day to visit, but we had to wait for the bus back to the harbour!

Reply to: The Old Town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Paphos