We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter bookings

7 posts
Save Topic
Helicopter bookings

Hi,

I'm trying to book a helicopter ride from Torshavn to Mykines for the week of 14th June.

The bookings only go up to the 8th at the moment. Am I trying too far in advance? Or is it already fully booked...?

Also any other suggestions on helicopter routes/day trips would be great.

We're staying in Torshavn for 6 days, no car.

Thank you :)

9 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter bookings

You are aware that the helicopter doesn't run daily and even less in the summer months? Only on Wednesday Friday and Sunday. You are aware that these are NOT fun rides but a bare necessity for the people living there? And they will get priority over tourists.

My advice would be to take a bus to Sørvagur and get on the ferry there, book it through www.ssl.fo. Pay the fee to visit Mykines through www.hiking.fo and take the afternoon ferry back to the main islands connecting to the bus to Torshavn again.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 16:16
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter bookings

I am aware of the above; a lot of advice I have read about visiting the Faroe Islands includes going via helicopter as a must. We're on a very small budget, and I don't think I could afford a trip by helicopter anywhere else, so wanted to try it.

Apologies - I'm not an ignorant tourist, just excited for our trip.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 17:50
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter bookings

In that case book on Atlantic.fo it is probably a bit too early to book. Due to it being mainly meant for the locals booking window is rather short.

Keep checking back.

Don't forget to pay the fee to visit Mykines on hiking.fo.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 19:37
Washington
Level Contributor
44 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter bookings

Yes it appears that helicopter bookings only open up 30 days in advance. I had to wait until April 25th to get my May 25th reservation—and even then they were rapidly filling up, so I suggest you book right away at 30 days in advance.

And please ignore that nasty commenter. You are clearly not an ignorant tourist for simply asking a question about the helicopter system. These kinds of questions are precisely what TripAdvisor is for.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter bookings

Where did I state that?! I just pointed out the services aren't a tourist attraction and shouldn't be treated as such. They're a bare necessity for the locals living on the places the helicopters go to. And in my opinion they should be avoided by tourists.

Edited: 17 May 2018, 15:04
Hong Kong
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter bookings

I see one logistics problem when taking a helicopter while traveling by car - while I'd only be allowed to book a one-way air trip (giving locals the priority is an absolutely sensible arrangement and I'm 200% agree) so either the outbound or inbound leg has to be done by ferry. In such case, what's the best way to get back my car as the drop-off and pick-up location has to be different? Taxi seems to be the only way? Thanks for the advice in advance

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter bookings

No there is a bus (100) towards Torshavn after tht ferry arrives. It goes to Torshavn but get off at the petrol station in Kollafjørður (Effo) and change there to bus 300 to the airport to get your car back from there.

Check www.ssl.fo for details.

Edited: 19 May 2018, 00:26
Hong Kong
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter bookings

That sounds great. Thank you for the detailed information. Will surely check this option out :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter bookings

I would book immediately 30 days in advance. I've just checked and my date (June 15) and it's full already. Pity as I was ready to book last week and it was too early as the slots weren't available. I guess it's the ferry for me.

Reply to: Helicopter bookings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Faroe Islands