We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

Hi everyone

I know this is a travel forum and use it often, but I am having trouble finding a traditional recipe for a Maltese Pie using pastry,corned beef,peas,tomato paste,onion etc for my father in law. His mum used to always make it and I have searched the net but haven't found anything exactly the same. I would be most grateful for a recipe or a link to one on the internet. Please PM me if you can help.

Regards Tracy

Sliema
Level Contributor
536 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

Hello Tracey, try this. But there are so many varities as many people add extra ingreidents to the pie. I like to add a chopped hard boiled egg, also I like to add a bit of Curry. Of courese cooking is not the same for me if I don't add garlic..

…blogspot.com/2011/04/turta-tal-kunn-bijf-ti…

Copy and paste this in your google

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

Thankyou so much for the recipe. I will try it out and let you know how it turns out.

Tracy

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

I tried to find another recipe on line but got tired of reading different recipes. The link that Compo gave you is a very basic recipe , which is how this pie was done in the times of Worl war II

when it originated due to the lackof fresh meat .

I have eaten variations of this pie with added ingredients to taste , including as mentioned a bit of garlic , salt and pepper , added freshly boiled green peas , and some sprinkling of spice or tabasco sauce .

If you are interested in Maltese cooking here are some local recipes

http://malta.jimdo.com/maltese-recipes/

Feel free to make your own Bully beef Torta with added ingredients!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

This recipe is more of the English version

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/627074

The Maltese version replaces the Tomato Ketchup with Kunserva ( tomato Paste ) and the Worchester Sauce with any other sauce ,tobasco or HP ?

Onions and Garlic to taste and freshly ground Black pepper make it your own spicy mix !

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

Thanks Everyone for your help.

643amc : it is the Maltese recipe I want for sure as my father in law is Maltese. I also found searching the net was confusing as there were so many variations. Some with puff pastry and some with shortcrust, some vegetables and some without. I guess I will experiment with a few variations and see what he likes best.

Regards Tracy

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

As everyone has said there are lots of variations.

But what you have to bear in mind is that, most probably, the corned beef pie your FIL would have had is a basic one.

I would imagine the ingredients would be onions, garlic, corned beef, carrots, peas, cubed boiled potatoes. Then add a little Bisto disolved . The tomato puree (kunserva) should be fried in a little oil to bring out the flavour.

I shouldn't think flaky pastry was used.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

This is the basic idea

ilovefood.com.mt/site/…

You cannot go wrong ...really !

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

For what it is worth , lately I have been addicted to Octopus stew served with good Italian pasta served Al Dente with a cool local wine .Try it if you have the time and want to impress your FIL !

ilovefood.com.mt/site/…

The same stew could be served with Chips and fresh salad and lemon bits

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

Mmmm yum that sounds delicious 643amc !

I am inspired to try some Maltese cooking.Thankyou everyone very much.

We do hope to visit Malta in the future, so I will be sure to visit this site when the time comes for some helpful information.

Kind Regards Tracy

10. Re: Maltese Recipe for Torta with corned beef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 12:16