We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public bus ticket

Belgrade, Serbia
6 posts
Save Topic
Public bus ticket

I am arriving to Malta in a few days. We would mostly use our feet and public buses.. Since we will be staying in Malta 3 nights (low budget holiday) we won't buy any other tickets but single tickets. But, on some website i read something i don't understand so i did copy/paste:

'Passengers may change buses within the two hour period to get to their destination as part of a one-way journey. The ticket does not allow you to make a return trip, even if wholly within the two hour period. Of course, penalty fares are payable if you travel without a valid ticket.'

So, as i understood it - i by a ticket on a bus from Sliema to Valetta, for example. I get to Valetta, finish my work in, lets say 20min and i can not use the ticket i bought to go back to Sliema???!!!! How does anyone know where am i heading? Maybe i am not going to Sliema in that way... Can someone explain this to me?

And other thing..how jammed is the traffic in Malta on Mondays early mornings? I will be staying in Sliema (near Exiles bus station) and have to be at the airport before 07:40am.. AS i could see on timetable which i don't understand well, X2 bus is some few minutes before 7:00am on Exiles station..how long does it take from there to the airport? Should i take a risk and use this bus at that time and reach the airport for half an hour?

Thanx for your answers..

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
11 replies to this topic
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public bus ticket

The ticket is only 1,50 euros so hardly worth trying to get a "free "ride for that small amount.

You said "we2 so there is more than one of you so what about buying the 12 ride ticket for 15 euros that can be used by both of you , You can have six rides each including the ride to the airport.

If I had to be at the airport at 7.40 I don`t think I would risk catching a bus at 7.00 just in case of hold ups / breakdowns or any other delays .

Graham

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public bus ticket

DEPARTURE DAY: I definitely would not leave Sliema on the bus that you suggest. Best get a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Belgrade, Serbia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public bus ticket

Hm..that 12 ride ticket doesn't sound bad at all :) thanx for the advice..

Yes, i thought it might be risky to expect that early bus to reach airport in 30 minutes..

Belgrade, Serbia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public bus ticket

I had no intention to get a 'free' ride, just i still don't understand why i can't go back with the same ticket if i have two hours to use it..

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public bus ticket

You don't really get two hours as such - the 2 hours grace was introduced to allow any reasonable route for your journey including changing buses within that timeframe.

The ticket is for a single trip, which may be interrupted (so you could run an errand half way, grab a drink, pop to the loo or whatever before resuming the journey on another bus so long as it's within the 2 hours). Returning back to Sliema however would be considered two trips.

It wasn't intended AFAIK to ride around on various buses for a couple of hours though the rules have been relaxed since it was first introduced.

I guess it has some historical roots due to the relative lack of 'direct' or 'express' routes back in the day when most trips involved a change in Valletta. The bus system has changed a lot since then.

If the validation machine is working properly it should pick up on it and an Inspector likely would. That's how they would know.

Even if there's a direct route, many people opt to change buses to take a less crowded route and maybe get a seat.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 02:10
Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public bus ticket

I think that the main rule is that you can't use a bus operating the same route more than once using the same ticket. However I would not try to use the same ticket to back-track, even if the service number is different, as their bus inspectors are always on the look out for people breaking the rules !

P-t-B

Belgrade, Serbia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Public bus ticket

Ok, ok..i will see how it all works..i just got confused whith that way of using tickets..here, where i live we have a single ticket that 'lasts' for hour and a half. When you enter the bus and validate the card from that moment that period starts. In hour and a half you can use all types of transportation in all possible ways but have to validate the ticket (plastic card) in every bus, trolley or tram. After 1.5 hours you are without a ticket and in a risk to get fined..or just validate it again and new 1.5hours period starts..and all that for 0.70 euros..

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public bus ticket

You're lucky - here in Ipswich a transfer costs extra (total £2.50)..... So it's better in Malta.

Beware - there was a thread a couple of years ago where the machines seemed to be showing 'transfer OK' when it probably shouldn't be. The inspectors check may be stricter.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190…

Mentioned in this post
Belgrade, Serbia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Public bus ticket

As i was looking at MPT website, google maps i realised i am missing something..what is the best bus route from the airport to Sliema, Exiles station? And how is this Exiles pronounced? :) I don't wanna sound funny if ask someone.. So, i understood that i can take X2 bus from apt..but now i read somewhere that i can take X2 TO the airport but not from it..please for some info on this..

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public bus ticket

You can take the bus from the airport, but the route is circular so you go to St Julian's, stay on the bus as if heading back to the airport (it leaves straight away) and get off at Exiles (pronounce as spelling). It can be quicker to take the X4 from the airport to Valletta, then take a 13,13a,14 or 15 to Exiles especially if there is an X4 due and there is a wait for the X2. If catching the X4 make sure you get on the bus for Valletta at stop 'Airport 1' as the X4 from 'Airport 3' goes to Birzebbugia.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Reply to: Public bus ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted