We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue lagoon/blue grotto trips

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Blue lagoon/blue grotto trips

We are visiting in August so I know it will be incredibly busy but I'm looking for your recommendations for a trip to the blue lagoon and blue grotto with two children. A smaller boat company would be preferred? Maybe one that goes earlier to miss the masses?

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue lagoon/blue grotto trips

The only boats I know of that go to the Blue Grotto are the small ones run through a co-operative of boatmen that leave from the small quay at Wied Iz Zurrieq.

http://www.bluegrottomalta.com.mt/. (Doesn't open properly on some browsers/devices)

Get there by bus or HoHo open top bus and follow the signs downhill to the ticket booth. There maybe some boats that sail past but they don't go to it.

For the Blue Lagoon at Comino try Sea Horse Cruises at Bugibba or OhYeah at Mellieha.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 20:29
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue lagoon/blue grotto trips

The Blue Lagoon is best seen early morning if at all possible.

Be aware that the Blue Lagoon will be sardine territory in August - the boats roll in and the hoardes disembark to be caught be the snack shacks and umbrella vendors who have the monopoly there. You can guess I'm not a huge fan of the place as its unpleasant in peak season and Malta offers equally beautiful sights elsewhere.

You could get a bus to Cirkewwa (Gozo Ferry) and get the 'water taxi' shuttles over as early as you can make it, arranging a pick-up time as you go. There is zero shade at the Blue Lagoon, so if its a scorcher you will get burnt.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 22:54
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue lagoon/blue grotto trips

One reason for using the boats that do an 'all day' trip to, or including, the Blue Lagoon Is that the boat stays with you - thereby providing limited shade and snacks/drinks (inclusive or for purchase).

Check the different itineraries on offer.

Like XD I'm not a fan of the Blue Lagoon in high season, but hoardes of people do go and presumably enjoy it? Maybe not so much?

Reply to: Blue lagoon/blue grotto trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted