We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta in 3 days - where to stay + suggestions please!

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malta in 3 days - where to stay + suggestions please!

Hi,

We are traveling to Malta this August, arriving on a Thursday in the late afternoon from Virtu Ferry and leaving on the Sunday on the evening ferry.

Neither my husband or I want to drive, therefore we were thinking of either taking the public transport or the hop-on hop off, therefore my first question would be, what area should we be staying in for easy access? We booked a really nice hotel beside the San Anton's garden (refundable), but now are wondering if it's the most practical area, and if maybe we should be staying in Valletta instead... any suggestions? Is there an easy way to get from the waterfront to San Anton's Garden?

And secondly, here is the itinerary we were thinking, we have never been there, therefore suggestions are most welcome, keeping in mind that we won't be driving:

Thursday: arrive in late afternoon from ferry, get to hotel (??), than stroll around Attard and go to the gardens.

Friday: Marsaxlokk (hop-on, hop-off? or city bus?)

Saturday: Mdina (easy bus from the San Anton's garden to Mdina? and is it enough for a day tour or should we add more?)

Sunday: Check out and go to Valletta & visit for the day (maybe find a place where we can leave our bag for the day?) leave in the evening by ferry

thank you!! :)

The Duke Boutique Hotel
The Duke Boutique Hotel
#1 of 4 hotels in Victoria
Park Lane Aparthotel
Park Lane Aparthotel
#1 of 15 hotels in Qawra
Hotel Valentina
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 33 hotels in Saint Julian's
4 replies to this topic
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta in 3 days - where to stay + suggestions please!

It would be easier if you stayed in either Valletta , with it`s bus station or in Sliema /St Julians area with easy access to Valletta

I would spend all day Friday exploring Valletta .

Saturday , half day to Mdina and Sunday morning to Marsaxlokk.

Just a few of my personal opinions.

Graham

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Mdina
Mdina
Island of Malta, Malta
Marsaxlokk
Marsaxlokk
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta in 3 days - where to stay + suggestions please!

I think your Attard hotel option is not ideal for exploring the island. I'd look at Valletta for its beauty and easy access to public transport on such a short trip.

Mentioned in this post
Attard
Attard
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
london
Level Contributor
428 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta in 3 days - where to stay + suggestions please!

As suggested by Graham, I would look at staying in either Valletta or Sliema as Valletta has the main bus terminal to which all transport goes through, however Valletta can be too quiet in the evenings for some peoples tastes. Sliema however gives more choice for restaurants and is a cosmopolitan town with easy and quick access to Valletta.

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta in 3 days - where to stay + suggestions please!

That's great, thank you so much! We changed of hotel :)

Reply to: Malta in 3 days - where to stay + suggestions please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted