We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels

Weymouth
Level Contributor
172 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels

First time in Malta this September and not sure where to stay. Will prob need to do a package hol as so dear to do independent. Been looking at areas and wondered if Melliah is too far from everything? We like the beach and prom plus harbour but also like to be close to amenities, especially in the eve but don't like noisy bars. Would use public transport but would also like to go to Gozo. Most of the hotels advertised are huge with kids clubs, which we won't need. Any help please, also 10 or 14 days and s/c options or b/b? Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels

I would look at St Julians and neighbouring Sliema which have all the facilities that you require, and good transport links to the rest of the island. I like the Hotel Juliani which is a boutique hotel with only 40 rooms and no kids club, indeed I've rarely seen children there. It is close to the promenade which runs through to Sliema and has bus stops almost on The doorstep. There is a small beach in St Julians, and Melliehas larger beaches can be reached by bus in about an hour.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
1,522 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels

I'd head to Sliema or St. Julians and do days out from there, Gozo, Valletta, beach days etc.

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Scotland
Level Contributor
234 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels

I would recommend you stay in St Julians, you can travel all over the island from there. Our preferred hotels there are Argento, which is small but very clean and comfortable with a lovely breakfast included and a rooftop pool. If your budget can run to The Hilton it is fabulous in every way. Ryanair fly to Malta from several UK airports and booking with them is easy, then you can book your hotel online. At Malta airport is a taxi office where you pre-pay your fare at a set price, or there is a bus stop at the airport where you can get buses all over. At the airport and most newsagents you can buy a 7 day explorer bus pass for 21euro, this covers all local buses. It is very easy to arrange your own trip to Malta.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Argento Hotel
Argento Hotel
1,052 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
5,307 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Weymouth
Level Contributor
172 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels

Thanks for all replies will look at St Juliana and Silema. Flights still a bit dear by keeping my eye on it.

Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels

If you stop in sliema you can catch a ferry over to Valletta for a couple of euro. Also there are lots of small parks next to the sea for a nice stroll. Bus pass is €21 for the week each and lets you travel anywhere on the island and the buusses have air conditioning.I always find that flights go really cheap with Ryanair about 8 weeks before you are due to go. We go for the first 2 weeks of September as kids are back at school and usually a bit quieter lol.

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels

To answer your question mellieah is in the North where most of the beaches are, the main historical sites are in the south, if a beach is really important its not impossible to travel to the sites, but can be a long haul an hour and a half to Valletta, maybe look at St Julians which has a small man made beach, or neighbouring silema which the two are joined by a lovely flat prom half hour stroll down it between the two do days out from there on buses which run regular to Valletta and other places, or get the ferry to Valletta from silema.Silema would be cheaper out of the two for accommodate even eating out slightly is cheaper in silema than St Julians.

Eileen

Edited: 26 June 2018, 19:06
Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Weymouth
Level Contributor
172 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels

Thank you for all the information. I think we are decided on Sliema so will be booking it very soon for September

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Reply to: Hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted