We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

Bimingham
Level Contributor
156 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

I'm going to Reykjavík in Iceland on 22 to 25 November (2012) and would like to know what type of footwear I should bring. There is a similar thread, but I can admit to being slightly fashion conscious, although I do have some sensible options to choose from;

1) Ankle high walking boots with "Gore-tex"

2) Walking boots that fit slightly higher than a trainer (a cross between a boot and a trainer) - nicer boots than the above.

3) Barts Moon-boots in black

4) Helly Hansen Skuld knee high snow boots in white

I will be doing to usual activities; Blue Lagoon spa day, Golden Circle Tour, city sightseeing and going to bars/restaurants. As my trip will be varried, this is why I'm scratching my head on what to plan for.

I know this question is a bit silly, but if I go skiing or on a summer holiday I know what to take, but please can someone help me with my dilemma, as I have the footwear, but it's about knowing what to expect from a holiday in Iceland which is my concern.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Blue Lagoon Spa
Blue Lagoon Spa
4,410 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
549 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,507 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

Take the GoreTex ankle high hiking boots.

Absolutely not the Moon-boots.

The Helly Hansen is silly, just wear thick socks in your GoreTex.

And light casual for clubs and restaurants. Wear the boots in the flight, it saves on the weight.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

Just curious, why not the Moon-boots? I am visiting next month, 4 nights : Reykjavik and Akureyni, tourist sightseeing. Thinking of Paul Green leather ankle -height boots. They have a thick sole but not much insulation so I assume warm socks would be in order. I don't do snow activities so suggestions as to warmest (not wool) type of socks appreciated. Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Bimingham
Level Contributor
156 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

The moon boots will be too warm, not very breathable, clumpy and not very practical for the terrain. I have a pair of Barts Moonboots and find them more annoying to wear than my Helly Hansen snow boots, as I don’t like the loose inner lining; however my research of Iceland tells me that the weather is often wet and windy in autumn, similar to the UK, not snowy. For my trip in November, I shall be taking my pair of walking boots and will wear them on the plane to save space and weight. They may not be very fashionable, but at least they’ll be more practical walking in the countryside, as I believe the terrain can be rough, wet and slippery. But based on what you’ve suggested, I may take another pair of ankle boots for the bars at night, as I wouldn’t want to take my ballet pumps, just in case it rains and having soggy feet is not ideal. Your “Paul Green” leather ankle-height boots will be fine at night, but will probably not be ideal for the day if you’re intending to walk in the countryside. I hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,507 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

Moon boots are for the moon, where it´s dry.

Moon boots are miserable in the wet and muddy, slushy conditions we have. And besides that, they do not have good support to the ankle, when walking in rough terrain (and you will do that).

Moon boots might be good in deep, soft, dry snow, but you will hardly find that on the tourist trails of Iceland.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
UK
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

This is a good topic!

We're visiting in February - when I'm assuming it'll be snowy/icy. Would anyone recommend getting some snow/ice grips to go around bottom of shoes/boots please?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,507 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

Absolutely recommended, a cheap insurance in case of icy paths

https:/…walker_green_2.jpg

https://www.yaktrax.co.uk/shop/faq/

Bimingham
Level Contributor
156 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

I go on ski holidays and enjoy the UK winters too and I found after I bought my moon boots they were really awkward after a long time wearing them, but my Helly Hansen Skuld knee high snow boots were great this year. They are very warm, waterproof and have a good sole for walking in the snow, particularly around the town where there is a combination of snow, slush and tarmac. In the snow, I’ve also attached the rubber snow/ice grips, with metal spikes to add grip. They were good when there is a lot of ice covering the snow, to get added grip. Plus, when I visited the bars, they were easily removable. I would recommend them; however I don’t know what the weather in Iceland is like in February, let alone November when I’m visiting.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
UK
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

"Absolutely recommended, a cheap insurance in case of icy paths"

Thank you for the links, very helpful.

Bimingham
Level Contributor
156 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

@ icelandicguide

I have a pair of removable rubber grips with small metal spikes. I guess I would have trouble getting them through security at the airport? I’m planning to travel light and not put anything in the hold of the airplane.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,507 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What shoes/boots to wear in Iceland in November?

Lisa Marie, why would you need to get them through security ?? Are you going to wear them on the plane ?

Put it in your suitcase and you´ll be fine.

;