We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow and Iceland

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Snow and Iceland

I've been looking forward to my 6-day trip to Iceland for weeks and I just checked weather.com for the weather starting next Sunday and it looks like it might snow or even rain for most of the time next week. I'm so bummed - please someone assure me that all will be well, there will stil be a lot to do and I'll still have a good time. I know you can't count on seeing the Aurora Borealis anyway, so I hoped for that but knew not to expect it either. I want to be able to take tours - either with a group - or rent a car on my own. I'm hoping I'll still get to see the nature. I was planning 2 days at Reykjavik and the rest out in the countryside or coast. It's so hard to know what to expect.

Another question: I was thinking of getting those "snow tire" things for your shoes for walking on icy areas - do you think I'll need those?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow and Iceland

Check the website of the Icelandic Met Office regularely and see if the forecast changes: http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/areas/ In Iceland it's hard to predict the weather accurately few days ahead so these forecasts could easily change during the next days. However, this looks like typical March weather. It's still winter up here.

Come prepaired with suitable clothes. Dress in layers, warm, rainproof and comfortable. Good waterproof shoes are a must, both in rainy weather and when walking in snow.

It's not a bad idea to buy crampons for your shoes, but not really necessary unless it gets very slippery (which can happen when it freezes after it's been raining or snowing).

A lot has to happen for the typical tours to be cancelled. Then we're talking snow storm. The current forecast shows nothing even close to that. Notice that the current forecast predicts little wind, but it's the wind that's usually your worst enemy weather-wise in Iceland.

I'd say this looks good :) Don't worry about it, hope the weather stays near the calmer side of wintery Iceland but go prepared for anything (viking style).

I hope your trip goes well and you get to do all the tours you are looking forward to. Have a nice trip!

Edited: 15 March 2012, 11:08
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow and Iceland

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I have a pair of rainboots but I don't find them comfortable to walk in so much. I guess I can buy something there if I find I need them. It's hard to bring all the different kinds of boots and shoes one could imagine one might need. My after-ski boots are back in California, darn.

Can I ask you a question re converters/adapters? I'm not bringing a phone or computer so all I'll need to recharge is my camera. Do I need a converter or just the prong adaptor thing? Thanks!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
139 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow and Iceland

Me and my family are coming too from India on the same dates for same duration.

wishing us all a great weather and aurora sighting

Sunday night is predicted to be a high KP and active northern lights

( May bump into each other at some point )

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow and Iceland

I'm checking the weather reports and it looks like snow and rain all week, but weather can change, and it may not be constant, like all day and night long. Maybe it will stop at night and clear up. I don't mind a little snow and rain just not the whole time! It will be interesting no matter what. I have a Golden Circle and Northern Lights tour booked for Monday. They say if you don't see them one night, keep trying. I'm staying at the Natura. I hope I run into you and your family!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow and Iceland

If the battery charger label says input 100V - 240V (or something like that) it'll be fine, all you'll need is a plug adaptor. If it says input 120V, you need a transformer or you'll fry it. I've got 3 Canon battery chargers (for a G12, a 40D and my wife's compact), they all say 100V-240V and I've used them in the USA (and obviously Europe) with no problem.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
419 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow and Iceland

We're just back. You will love the Natura. Pool is great, as is the "hot" tub. The restaurant also does a great job, particularly if you are there for brunch on Saturday or Sunday.

I do not recommend buying new boots there, as it takes a while for your feet to adapt to new shoes. Better to take along broken-in shoes that are warm and waterproof.

The weather is outrageous. Blizzard conditions one minute, calm and serene sunshine the next. Be prepared for everything. Do not count on seeing the Northern Lights; if you are lucky enough to catch them, consider it a "bonus."

Have fun - - - we're already planning a return trip for this summer!!!

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
419 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow and Iceland

p.s. Contrary to what some others suggest, I feel more comfortable using a converter attached to my adaptor plug, just to make sure there are no problems. I've had too many hair dryers blow up over the years . . .

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow and Iceland

Stuff like cameras, laptops and phones tend to have the same charger wherever you buy them - it saves money for the companies that make them, since most of them are in China or Korea now. I've used my BlackBerry, Asus laptop and and Canon camera chargers all over the place, USA and Europe. As long as it says input 100-240V, they're OK (it's a legal requirement to show the input range in the EU, it's probably the same in the USA). Hairdryers and so on will be a bit different, not a good idea to put 240V through an American one, though it might be fun to bet on how long it would last

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
419 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow and Iceland

Yes, mine exploded in London after ramping up and sounding like a jet engine about to take off a number of years ago. It was all very exciting!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow and Iceland

That's what I thought - about the voltage thing. So I only need to get the prong adaptor. Thanks! I heard for appliances that heat up - like hairdryers - you really do need the voltage converters.